Master-at-arms is a position charged with training garrisons, as well as noble children, in fighting skills. Masters-at-arms are often deadly warriors or knights. They can provide blunted weapons for training instead of live steel. Masters-at-arms are present at most castles in the Seven Kingdoms, including the Night's Watch, although they are not used by the crannogmen.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
Your squire looks in need of sustenance as well. He is so scrawny that all his hair has fallen out. We'll have him share a cell with other boys of his own age. He'll like that. My master-at-arms can train him in all the arts of war.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 30, Eddard VII.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 66, Theon VI.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 24, Cersei V.
- Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- The Mystery Knight.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 37, Theon III.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 7, Arya I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 19, Jon III.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 28, Bran IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 8, Daenerys I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 3, Daenerys I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 26, Jon IV.
- A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 58, Jon XII.
- The Sworn Sword.