- See also turtle (siege engine).
Many varieties of turtles can be found along the Rhoyne, including:
|“||large turtles and small ones, flatbacks and red-ears, softshells and bonesnappers, brown turtles, green turtles, black turtles, clawed turtles and horned turtles, turtles whose ridged and patterned shells were covered with whorls of gold and jade and cream.||”|
According to legend, the First Turtle War, the first of the Rhoynish Wars, began when Valyrians butchered a gigantic turtle known to the Rhoynish as the Old Men of the River and held as consorts of Mother Rhoyne.
A Dance with Dragons
|“||The turtles have their charms, I will allow. Nothing delights me so much as the sight of a nice pair of shapely ... shells.||”|
Behind the Scenes
Turtles are a favorite animal of George R. R. Martin, who invented stories for his pet turtles as a child. Martin created the character Great and Powerful Turtle for the Wild Cards series, and the author also often wears a hat with a turtle pin.
References and Notes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 14, Tyrion IV.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 21, The Queenmaker.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The World of Ice and Fire, Ten Thousand Ships.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
- ↑ NPR.org: Thrones' Author George R.R. Martin Plays Not My Job, September 14, 2012
- ↑ So Spake Martin: Outland Interview, September 01, 2000