- See also turtle (siege engine).
Turtles in the Known World are reptiles similar to real life turtles.
Many varieties of turtles can be found along the Rhoyne, including:
||large turtles and small ones, flatbacks and red-ears, softshells and bonesnappers, brown turtles, green turtles, black turtles, clawed turtles and horned turtles, turtles whose ridged and patterned shells were covered with whorls of gold and jade and cream.
Turtles are worshipped by the Rhoynar. The sigil of House Estermont includes a turtle.
According to legend, the First Turtle War, the first of the Rhoynish Wars, began when Valyrians butchered a gigantic turtle known to the Rhoynish as the Old Men of the River and held as consorts of Mother Rhoyne.
A Dance with Dragons
While traveling along the Rhoyne, Tyrion Lannister sees a multitude of turtles, including a giant one which Yandry and Ysilla believe to be the Old Man of the River.
||The turtles have their charms, I will allow. Nothing delights me so much as the sight of a nice pair of shapely ... shells.
- Tyrion Lannister
Behind the Scenes
Turtles are a favorite animal of George R. R. Martin, who invented stories for his pet turtles as a child. Martin created the character Great and Powerful Turtle for the Wild Cards series, and the author also often wears a hat with a turtle pin.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 14, Tyrion IV.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 21, The Queenmaker.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The World of Ice & Fire, Ten Thousand Ships.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
- ↑ NPR.org: Thrones' Author George R.R. Martin Plays Not My Job, September 14, 2012
- ↑ So Spake Martin: Outland Interview, September 01, 2000