Eagles are large birds of prey similar to real-life eagles.
House Mallister has an eagle in their sigil, and the Mallisters also control the Cape of Eagles. House Condon includes an eagle's head in their sigil, while double-headed eagles are included in the sigils of Houses Estren and Graves.
Lord Ardrian Celtigar is said to have a trained sea eagle, and Lord Jason Mallister decorates his helm with eagle wings. Some skinchangers can enter eagles. For instance, Orell controls an eagle with great blue-grey wings and golden eyes.
A Clash of Kings
While traveling through the Skirling Pass, Jon Snow sees eagles nesting in the heights and hunting in the valleys of the Frostfangs. Orell, a skinchanger of the free folk, spies with an eagle, but he is killed by Jon. The bird remains with Rattleshirt's band and gashes Jon's direwolf, Ghost.
A Storm of Swords
Part of Orell's consciousness lives on within his eagle, which attacks Jon. The skinchanger Varamyr takes control of Orell's eagle, but he is later almost driven mad when Melisandre kills the bird during the battle beneath the Wall by burning it.
|“||Eagles have sharper eyes than men.||”|
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 36, Davos IV.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 29, Sansa II.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 51, Jon VI.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 58, Davos III.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 15, Jon II.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, Ancient History: The Coming of the First Men.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 68, Jon VIII.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 53, Jon VII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 73, Jon X.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Prologue.