A Clash of Kings-Chapter 48
|A Clash of Kings chapter|
|Page||508 UK HC (Other versions)|
|Chapter chronology (All)|
Daenerys Targaryen enters the House of the Undying, where she experiences many visions. She reaches the audience chamber of the Undying Ones, who give her cryptic information and then try to consume her. Drogon rescues her and she runs outside, where Pyat Pree tries to attack her, but Drogon comes to her help once again.
Daenerys stands before the House of the Undying. Drogon hisses at the gray and ancient ruin and most of her companions, Ser Jorah, Jhogo, Aggo, and Xaro, tell her she should turn back, but she is resolute to enter the abode of the Warlocks. Pyat Pree steps out to her, saying that Daenerys must enter alone, or not at all. He leads her to the entrance, warning her to always take the door to her right, and only take stairs leading up. On her way she will see visions of the past, future and days that never were, and those that will speak to her from other rooms, but she must not enter any room and keep her path until she reaches the Undying's audience chamber.
At the entrance, Daenerys drinks a glass of shade of the evening a dwarf gives her, to prepare her for the truths within, and enters. In the House of the Undying, she notices right away that she is in the presence of sorcery. Fortunately, she brought Drogon with her into the Warlocks' home. Daenerys sees a great many visions during her journey through the halls:
- A beautiful naked woman sprawling on a floor with four little men with rat-like faces raping her.
- A feast of corpses, a room full of savagely slaughtered bodies, and many of the corpses have cups or spoons in their hands; above them sits a dead man on a throne with the head of a wolf, wearing an iron crown and holding a leg of lamb like a king would hold a scepter;
- old, dead, loyal Ser Willem Darry beckons her into the house with the red door, in Braavos
- An old man with long silver hair sits on a barbed throne in a great hall with dragon skulls, and says "Let him be the king of ashes";
- a man who looks like Viserys, but taller and with darker eyes, who says to a woman nursing a baby, "Aegon… What better name for a King… He is the Prince that was Promised, and his is the song of ice and fire"; and when the man’s eyes meet Dany’s, he says either to her or the woman with the baby, "There must be one more… The dragon has three heads", and he picks up a silver harp and begins to play;
- a vision of Pyat Pree telling her the visit is over, and to follow him into a garden;
- a great hall with several robed people claiming to be the Undying Qarth, who tell her, "We sent the comet to show you the way (to Qarth)… shall we teach you the secret speech of dragonkind?", but it turns out to be sorcery.
Finally, Daenerys comes upon a room with several figures that are no more than shadows, unbreathing, and over them floats a human heart, blue and corrupted (these are apparently the real Undying). The figures speak inside Dany’s head:
|“||we know… the shape of shadows… morrows not yet made… drink from the cup of ice… drink from the cup of fire… Mother of Dragons… Child of Three… three heads has the dragon… three fires must you light: one for life and one for death and one to love… three mounts must you ride: one to bed and one to dread and one to love… three treasons will you know: once for blood and once for gold and once for love… daughter of death, slayer of lies, bride of fire…||”|
She now sees visions in her head, floating faster and faster:
- Viserys dying;
- a tall lord with copper skin and silver hair bearing the banner of a fiery stallion;
- a dying prince with rubies flying from his armor whispering the name of a woman with his last breath;
- a blue-eyed king with a red sword in his hand who casts no shadow;
- a cloth dragon amidst a cheering crowd;
- a great stone beast flying from a smoking tower, breathing shadow fire;
- her Silver horse given to her by Drogo at her wedding;
- a corpse at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, smiling sadly;
- a blue flower growing from a chink in a wall of ice;
- shadows dancing in a tent;
- a little girl running toward a house with a red door;
- Mirri Maz Duur shrieking in the flames as a dragon bursts from her;
- a corpse being dragged behind a silver horse;
- a white lion running through grass taller than a man;
- a line of naked crones emerging from a lake, kneeling before Daenerys beneath the Mother of Mountains;
- ten thousand slaves crying "Mother" as Daenerys rides by on her silver.
At this point, the visions turn to a nightmare as the Undying try to consume Dany, and she is helpless to stop them until Drogon starts to tear the corrupted heart to pieces. Fleeing from the burning House of the Undying, Pyat Pree attacks her with a dagger, but Drogon interrupts him long enough for Daenerys to hear Jhogo’s whip crack, and then she is in the arms of Ser Jorah.
Place and Terms Mentioned
Notes and References
- ↑ Spoiler: a reference to the Red Wedding
- ↑ The place where Daenerys grew up
- ↑ Spoiler: King Aerys II Targaryen ordering the destruction of King's Landing, during the Sack of King's Landing
- ↑ Probably Rhaego, her unborn son
- ↑ A vision of the death of Rhaegar Targaryen; the woman could be Lyanna Stark
- ↑ This may be Stannis Baratheon with Lightbringer
- ↑ Possibly a reference to Jon Connington
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 52, Arya XI.
- ↑ A reference to the Battle of Yunkai
- The synopsis was initially copied from AOL member vbkorik27 previously at .