Mirri Maz Duur
|Born||In 257 AC, 258 AC or 259 AC, at Essos. Either in Lhazar, or in an unnamed Lhazareen settlement of the Dothraki sea. |
|Died||In 299 AC, at the red waste|
|Book(s)|| A Game of Thrones (appears)|
A Clash of Kings (mentioned)
A Storm of Swords (mentioned)
A Feast for Crows (mentioned)
A Dance with Dragons (mentioned)
|Played by||Mia Soteriou|
|TV series||Season 1|
- See also: Images of Mirri Maz Duur
She is a heavyset, flat-nosed woman with black hair. She is about 40-years-old when Daenerys first meets her.
Mirri was a godswife in the temple to the Great Shepherd, a Lhazareen deity. Her mother had been a godswife before her and taught her all the spells and songs. As a young girl she traveled to Asshai to learn the arts of the shadowbinders. She also studied the birthing songs of the moonsingers of the Jogos Nhai, the herb lore of the Dothraki, and the medicines of Maester Marwyn.
A Game of Thrones
Mirri is made a slave when Khal Drogo's khalasar fights and defeats Khal Ogo outside her hometown in Lhazar. The Dothraki then attack and conquers Mirri's home, enslaving the local people. When Daenerys Targaryen rides through the burned town, she sees Mirri being raped by one of Drogo's warriors and puts an end to it.
While Daenerys gives Mirri and the other rape victims protection from further attacks, Daenerys's husband Drogo is suffering from his battle wounds. Though Drogo is unconcerned, Daenerys convinces him to let Mirri Maz Duur make him a poultice of firepods and sting-me-not. The poultice itches, and Drogo tears it off, causing the wound to fester. Drogo's condition deteriorates until he falls from his horse, a symbol to his warriors that he could no longer lead them. As he lingers near death, Daenerys convinces Mirri Maz Duur to use her blood magic to preserve his life. Mirri betrays her in revenge for the attack on her village, and the ritual only returns Drogo to a catatonic vegetative state, whilst causing his son Rhaego to die in Daenerys' womb. Mirri justifies herself saying that now there will be no "stallion who mounts the world" burning cities and trampling nations to the ground.
Daenerys has Mirri Maz Duur burned to death upon Drogo's funeral pyre. Mirri initially sings but as the flames engulf her she screams.
A Clash of Kings
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 See the Mirri Maz Duur calculation.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 61, Daenerys VII.
- ↑ Mirri is first encountered further north than the areas usually claimed by the Lhazareen.
- ↑ HBO: Game of Thrones: cast and crew
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 64, Daenerys VIII.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 68, Daenerys IX.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 72, Daenerys X.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 48, Daenerys IV.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 63, Daenerys V.
- The Mirri Maz Duur article on the Game of Thrones wiki.