A dwarf is a person with dwarfism.
Some cultures, both in Westeros and Essos, do not suffer dwarfs to live, such as the Dothraki, the free folk and, in the past, the people of the Three Sisters. Septons halted the Sistermen's practice of casting dwarfs into the Bite as sacrifices to their gods, however.
Dwarfs are often employed as motleyed fools and jesters. Dwarfs are sometimes featured in grotesqueries. Mummer's troupes are expected to have a dwarf.
Some dwarfs refer to people of normal stature as "big folk" or "big people".
- Bobono, a Braavosi mummer at the Gate
- Hop-Bean, a mummer
- Mushroom, a fool in the courts of Viserys I Targaryen and Aegon II Targaryen
- Oppo, a mummer
- Penny, a mummer
- Tyrion Lannister, son of Lord Tywin Lannister
- a dwarf maester in service on the Fingers
- a dwarf whore in King's Landing
- a dwarf jester in service at Skyreach
- a female dwarf amongst the silent sisters
- dwarf agents of Brynden Rivers
- small dwarfs in the House of the Undying, including a servitor
- The ghost of High Heart, a woods witch
- the pious dwarf
Cersei: Father, I beg you to put him in fetters, for your own protection. You see how he is.
Oberyn: I see he's a dwarf. The day I fear a dwarf's wrath is the day I drown myself in a cask of red.—Cersei Lannister and Oberyn Martell, referring to Tyrion Lannister
You are insolent. I like that in a dwarf.
When there were kings on the Sisters, we did not suffer dwarfs to live. We cast them all into the sea, as an offering to the gods. The septons made us stop that. A pack of pious fools. Why would the gods give a man such a shape but to mark him as a monster?
—Tywin Lannister to a young Tyrion Lannister
You mustn't mock him. Don't you know anything? You can't talk that way to a big person. They can hurt you. Ser Jorah could have tossed you in the sea. The sailors would have laughed to see you drown. You have to be careful around big people. Be jolly and playful with them, keep them smiling, make them laugh, that's what my father always said. Didn't your father ever tell you how to act with big people?
You're brave. Little people can be brave.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 9, Davos I.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 3, Daenerys I.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 14, Tyrion IV.
- ↑ The Winds of Winter, Chapter , Mercy.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 40, Tyrion IX.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 66, Tyrion IX.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 1, Tyrion I.
- ↑ The Winds of Winter, Chapter , Tyrion.