Lord Commander of the Kingsguard
Lord Commander is the title held by the most senior sworn brother of the Kingsguard, Queensguard, and Rainbow Guard. The Lord Commander is appointed by the king of the Seven Kingdoms, generally from the existing pool of the Kingsguard. He is a member of the small council.
During the regency of the young king Aegon III Targaryen, Ser Robin Massey was named Lord Commander by Aegon III but the appointment was later set aside by the Lord Regent and Hand of the King, Lord Unwin Peake in 133 AC.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Dance with Dragons
Known Lord Commanders
- Ser Corlys Velaryon, the first Lord Commander of the Kingsguard under Aegon the Conqueror.
- Ser Addison Hill, the Bastard of Cornfield, under Aegon I Targaryen became Lord Commander after the death of his predecessor.
- Ser Gyles Morrigen, for Jaehaerys I Targaryen.
- Ser Ryam Redwyne, for Jaehaerys I Targaryen and Viserys I Targaryen.
- Ser Harrold Westerling, for Viserys I Targaryen.
- Ser Criston Cole, the Kingmaker, for Viserys I Targaryen and Aegon II Targaryen.
- Ser Steffon Darklyn, for Rhaenyra Targaryen (1st).
- Ser Lorent Marbrand, for Rhaenyra Targaryen (2nd).
- Ser Glendon Goode, for Rhaenyra Targaryen (3rd).
- Ser Willis Fell, for Aegon III Targaryen.
- Ser Robin Massey, for Aegon III Targaryen, dismissed as the king had not consulted his regents.
- Ser Marston Waters, for Aegon III Targaryen.
- Ser Raynard Ruskyn, for Aegon III Targaryen.
- Prince Aemon Targaryen, the Dragonknight, for Daeron I, Baelor I, Viserys II and Aegon IV Targaryen.
- Ser Duncan the Tall, for Aegon V Targaryen.
- Ser Gerold Hightower, the White Bull, for Aerys II Targaryen.
- Ser Barristan Selmy, Barristan the Bold, for Robert I Baratheon and Daenerys Targaryen.
- Ser Jaime Lannister, the Kingslayer, for Joffrey I Baratheon and Tommen I Baratheon.
- Ser Loras Tyrell, the Knight of Flowers, for Renly Baratheon's Rainbow Guard.
It is unknown under which king the following Lord Commanders served:
- Ser Robert Flowers, Red Robert Flowers.
- Ser Alyn Connington, the Pale Griffin.
- The Demon of Darry, a famous Lord Commander.
The Lord Commander of the Kingsguard must be valiant.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 67, Jaime VIII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 2, Daenerys I.
- A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - War and Peace and Cattle Shows.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 39, Eddard X.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 57, Sansa V.
- The World of Ice & Fire.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 16, Jaime II.
- Fire & Blood, Prince into King - The Ascension of Jaehaerys I.
- The Rogue Prince.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - The Hooded Hand.
- Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and the End of Regency.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Aemon Targaryen.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 58, Eddard XV.