|House Massey of Stonedance|
|Coat of arms||A triple spiral; red, green and blue, on white|
|Title||Lord of Stonedance|
|Overlord||House Baratheon of King's Landing|
|Founded||Age of Heroes|
The Masseys are a house of First Men origin. Lord Maldon Massey, a vassal of the Storm King Durran the Ravenfriend, built Stonedance and ruled Massey's Hook. The Masseys broke away from House Durrandon during the reign of King Durwald the Fat, however. The Masseys were one of the many houses which historically claimed the mouth of the Blackwater Rush.
The Masseys returned to the dominion of Storm's End when the Storm King Qarlton II took Stonedance after besieging the castle for a year and slaying King Josua Massey. Not even two years later, however, Josua's daughter married the Andal warlord Togarion Bar Emmon, who expelled Qarlton's men from Stonedance and replaced them with Josua's son. The Andals eventually made peace and intermarried with the Durrandons, however.
Prior to the War of Conquest, House Massey was sworn to House Durrendon of Storm's End but had closer ties to House Targaryen of nearby Dragonstone. When Aegon the Conqueror launched his invasion of Westeros, the Masseys supported him instead of the Storm King, Argilac the Arrogant. The master of laws for King Aegon I was Triston Massey. With the creation of the crownlands after the Conquest, the Masseys became sworn to the Targaryens of Aegon's new capital, King's Landing, instead of House Baratheon of Storm's End, who had replaced the Durrandons.
A Game of Thrones
A Storm of Swords
A Dance with Dragons
House Massey at the end of the third century
The known Masseys during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Wallace Massey, a member of the Night's Watch.
- Ser Justin Massey, a knight in service of King Stannis Baratheon.
- Lord Maldon Massey, Lord of Stonedance and founder of the house.
- King Justin Massey, called Justin Milk-Eye, who was also a pirate.
- King Josua Massey, the last king of House Massey, called Softspear.
- Josua's daughter, who married King Togarion Bar Emmon.
- Josua's son, who ruled Stonedance with Togarion's support.
- Lord Triston Massey, Lord of Stonedance, master of laws to Aegon I Targaryen.
- Lord Gormon Massey, Lord of Stonedance during the Dance of the Dragons.
References and Notes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 30, Eddard.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Citadel. Heraldry: the area of King's Landing
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, House Durrandon.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The World of Ice and Fire, The Conquest.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, Andals in the Stormlands.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The Princess and the Queen.
- ↑ The Mystery Knight.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.