|House Celtigar of Claw Isle|
|Coat of arms|| Red crabs strewn on white|
(Argent, semé of crabs gules)
|Current Lord||Ardrian Celtigar|
|Region||Blackwater Bay, the Crownlands|
|Title||Lord of Claw Isle|
|Overlord||House Baratheon of King's Landing|
House Celtigar is an ancient and proud house, with the blood of old Valyria in its veins. Crispian Celtigar served as master of coin to Aegon I Targaryen. The Celtigars claim dominion over Crackclaw Point, but the inhabitants do not acknowledge their claim. When they surrendered peacefully to Visenya Targaryen during the War of Conquest, the people of Crackclaw were officially freed from pledging fealty to anyone but the Iron Throne. The Celtigars occasionally send men there to collect taxes. If Lord Celtigar sends enough collectors, a few come back to him.
The Celtigars' castle is rumored to hold fabulous treasures that bear witness to their wealth. Among Lord Ardrian Celtigar's property there are Myrish carpets, Volantene glass, gold and silver plate, jeweled cups, magnificent hawks, a trained sea eagle, an axe of Valyrian steel, chests of rubies, a horn said to summon krakens from under the sea, and many fine wines.
A Clash of Kings
Lord Ardrian Celtigar answers Stannis Baratheon's summons when he crowns himself king and calls his banners. Stannis comments to Ser Davos Seaworth his disgust about having to sup with his lords, among them Ardrian, who keeps asking which stormlords will join him. Lord Celtigar's contribution to Stannis's fleet is the ornate ship Red Claw. Lord Ardrian is made prisoner at the Battle of the Blackwater, and bends the knee to King Joffrey Baratheon. He remains at King's Landing afterwards.
A Storm of Swords
Ser Axell Florent suggests that Stannis sack Claw Isle as a reprisal for Celtigar's surrender, but Davos convinces him otherwise and is named Hand of the King by Stannis for his honest counsel. Lord Celtigar declares at Tyrion Lannister's trial for the death of Joffrey that he once heard Tyrion threatening Joffrey.
House Celtigar at the end of the third century
The known Celtigars during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lord Ardrian Celtigar, called "the Red Crab", Lord of Claw Isle. An old and sour man.
- Lord Crispian Celtigar, Master of Coin to Aegon the Conqueror.
- Lord Edwell Celtigar, Hand of the King to Maegor I Targaryen.
- Lord Bartimos Celtigar. Sat on the Black council of Rhaenyra Targaryen.
Game of Thrones
References and Notes
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 61, Tyrion XIV.
- ↑ Citadel. Heraldry: In the area of the King's Landing
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The War of Conquest.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 20, Brienne IV.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The Princess and the Queen.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 36, Davos IV.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 The World of Ice and Fire.