|House Staunton of Rook's Rest|
|Coat of arms|| Two black wings upon a white fess on checkered black and grey|
(Chequy sable and cendrée, on a fess argent two wings of the first)
|Overlord||House Baratheon of Dragonstone|
House Staunton of Rook's Rest is a noble house from Rook's Rest in the Crownlands. Neither their arms nor their motto have appeared in the books, but according to semi-canon sources they blazon their arms with two black wings upon a white fess on checkered black and grey.
The Stauntons supported the blacks and Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen's claim to the Iron Throne during the Dance of the Dragons. Lord Staunton was killed by the greens during the Battle of Rook's Rest, and his head was taken to King's Landing.
A Feast for Crows
The maester of the Dun Fort tells Brienne of Tarth that smallfolk believe the Defiance of Duskendale could have been avoided if Lord Denys Darklyn had married a Staunton or a Stokeworth instead of Serala of Myr.
House Staunton at the end of the third century
The known Stauntons during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- no member has appeared yet.
- Lord Staunton, the Lord of Rook's Rest and head of the house during the Dance of the Dragons. He sided with Rhaenyra Targaryen and sat on the black council.
- Ser Joffrey Staunton, a knight of Aegon III Targaryen's Kingsguard.
- Ser Simon Staunton, the third husband of Lady Rohanne Webber.
- Sefton Staunton, the brother of Simon Staunton, a septon of the Faith.
References and Notes