The Queensguard, much like the Kingsguard, are the royal bodyguards of the Queen Regnant. Supposedly the finest knights in the Seven Kingdoms, they are sworn to protect their queen and the royal family with their own lives, to obey her commands, and to keep her secrets. They are sworn for life and are forbidden from owning land, taking a wife, or fathering children. There have been only two known instances in the history of A Song of Ice and Fire that the Queensguard has been implemented, the first being under Rhaenyra Targaryen during the Dance of the Dragons civil war and more recently under Daenerys Targaryen after the death of her husband, Khal Drogo.
The first known implementation of the Queensguard was founded by Rhaenyra Targaryen of House Targaryen as an elite bodyguard for the queen and her family during the Targaryen civil war known as the Dance of the Dragons. Daenerys Targaryen established her own Queensguard following the death of Khal Drogo, when she declared herself Queen and her surviving followers her khalasar.
Historically composed of seven knights sworn to a lifetime of service, members are to serve unto death despite age or any physical or mental ailments, with an invalid member's duties being taken up by his sworn brothers. During his time as a member of the Queensguard, a member is not allowed to hold lands, sire children, marry, or have any worldly allegiance except to his monarch. All members of the Queensguard must be sworn knights, although this is currently not always the case under Daenerys.
Of note is that prior to his meeting with Skahaz mo Kandaq Lord Commander Ser Barristan Selmy states to himself that Daenerys Targaryen "had never established a proper Queensguard even for herself."
Under Rhaenyra Targaryen during the Dance of the Dragons
The Kingsguard of King Viserys I split during the succession war that broke out upon his death, known as the Dance of the Dragons. Four of them sided with Rhaenyra's half-brother Aegon II (including Lord Commander Ser Criston Cole), but the other three defected to Rhaenyra, forming the core of her new Queensguard: Ser Steffon, Ser Lorent, and Ser Erryk.
- Ser Steffon Darklyn, first Lord Commander.
- Ser Lorent Marbrand, second Lord Commander.
- Ser Glendon Goode, third Lord Commander. Lord Commander for a day.
- Ser Erryk Cargyll.
- Ser Lyonel Bentley.
- Ser Harrold Darke.
- Ser Adrian Redfort.
- Ser Loreth Lansdale.
Under Daenerys Targaryen
- Ser Barristan Selmy, Lord Commander and Queen's Hand.
- Aggo, ko and bloodrider to Daenerys.
- Jhogo, ko and bloodrider to Daenerys.
- Rakharo, ko and bloodrider to Daenerys.
- Strong Belwas, a eunuch and former pit fighter sent by Illyrio Mopatis.
References and Notes
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 6, Catelyn II.
- ↑ The Princess and the Queen
- ↑ So Spake Martin. The Kingsguard (May 22, 1999)
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 55, The Queensguard.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 5.7 The Princess and the Queen.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, Aegon II.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 2, Daenerys I.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Kingsguard.