From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
The Rainbow Guard is an organization created by Renly Baratheon to serve a similar purpose to the Kingsguard. Its members wear rainbow cloaks and have a rainbow coat of arms. This connects them to the Faith of the Seven (to whom the rainbow is a religious symbol). Each member is described as wearing armor of a single different color, with the group of seven together representing the seven-colored rainbow.
Ser Loras Tyrell, Lord Commander.
Brienne of Tarth, the Blue.
Lord Bryce Caron, the Orange.
Ser Emmon Cuy, the Yellow.
Ser Guyard Morrigen, the Green.
Ser Parmen Crane, the Purple.
Ser Robar Royce, the Red.
At the start of the War of the Five Kings, Renly Baratheon declared himself king of the Seven Kingdoms after the death of his brother Robert. To reflect his status, he created the Rainbow Guard, a fanciful version of the Kingsguard. Loras Tyrell, Renly's favourite, was the first appointee, as well as Lord Commander. Barring the Lord Commander, each of the other six members were given a color of the rainbow. The last position was held open in the hope of awarding it to Ser Barristan the Bold should he join Renly's cause. He never arrived in Renly's camp, however, and the cloak was granted to Brienne of Tarth, who was awarded the position after winning a mêlée at Bitterbridge involving over a hundred knights, including Ser Loras.
It is interesting to note that Bryce Caron was the Lord of Nightsong when he was appointed to the Rainbow Guard. It was not made clear if this was honorary during wartime or he had given up his seat without an heir.
Following the death of Renly, the Rainbow Guard disintegrated:
- Loras Tyrell went mad from grief. When House Tyrell joined House Lannister against Stannis, Loras fought under the banner of House Tyrell. He later joined the Kingsguard as part of the alliance with the Lannisters.
- Brienne, having been witness to the death and being blamed for it, fled the scene and became a sworn sword of Catelyn Stark.
- Royce was killed by Loras Tyrell for allowing Renly's murder.
- Cuy was killed by Loras Tyrell for allowing Renly's murder.
- Morrigen, fighting for Stannis Baratheon, was slain during the assault on King's Landing by Garlan Tyrell.
- Crane, switched to Stannis Baratheon, was captured at Bitterbridge by Ser Loras and held at Highgarden. His status is unknown.
- Caron, fighting for Stannis Baratheon, was slain in the assault on King's Landing by Philip Foote.
In the TV adaptation, the Rainbow Guard is simply described as "King Renly's Kingsguard" rather than as the "Rainbow Guard." In the United States, the gay rights political movement has adopted the rainbow as its symbol. Author George R. R. Martin did not intend the book's use of "Rainbow Guard" as a play on gay rights; however, HBO has elected not to use the "Rainbow Guard" in its adaptation due to the political connotations, despite the explicit depiction of the relationship between Renly Baratheon and Loras Tyrell. Following Renly's death, Loras and his sister Margaery returned home, and Brienne fled with Catelyn Stark, whom she swore to serve as she had Renly.
References and Notes
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Kingsguard. The list of authors can be seen in the page history of Kingsguard. As with A Wiki of Ice and Fire, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.