|House Tarth of Evenfall Hall|
|Coat of arms||
Quartered, yellow sun on a rose-coloured field and white crescents on a blue field|
(Quarterly, first and fourth rose, a sun-in-splendour or, second and third azure, a moon increscent argent)
|Head||Lord Selwyn Tarth|
|Founded||Before the coming of the Andals|
House Tarth of Evenfall Hall is a noble house from Evenfall Hall in the stormlands. The family rules Tarth, a beautiful island northeast of Shipbreaker Bay that controls the Straits of Tarth between the island and mainland Westeros. They are one of the main houses sworn to House Baratheon of Storm's End.
Ancestors of House Tarth were once kings, and the head of the family is known as the Evenstar, which they claim dates back to the dawn of days. The island of Tarth came under the dominion of Storm Kings of House Durrandon when Durran the Fair married the daughter of Tarth's king, Edwyn Evenstar.
Tarth was the first region of the stormlands conquered during the coming of the Andals, but peace between the Andals and First Men was eventually achieved when the Storm Kings and their bannermen intermarried with the Andals. The Tarths have Andal ancestry and have ties with Houses Durrandon, Baratheon, and Targaryen.
At the start of the Dance of the Dragons in 129 AC, Ser Otto Hightower believed that the Evenstar of Tarth would be among the narrow sea powers who would support Rhaenyra Targaryen. In 133 AC during the Daughters' War, Lord Bryndemere Tarth supplied twelve longships to the fleet of Ser Gedmund Peake.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
When Stannis Baratheon sends Davos Seaworth to rally the stormlords, the Tarths only agree to a midnight meeting in a grove. They instead declare for Renly Baratheon during the War of the Five Kings.
Lord Selwyn Tarth's daughter, Brienne, wins the melee at Bitterbridge, defeating Ser Ronnet Connington and Ser Loras Tyrell. As a reward King Renly grants her a place in his Rainbow Guard. Brienne is forced to flee with Lady Catelyn Stark when she is suspected as the killer of Renly, who dies in her arms. Brienne then goes into Catelyn's service.
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
Brienne unsuccessfully searches the crownlands and riverlands for Sansa Stark. While following Arya Stark's track, Brienne is captured by the brotherhood without banners and is sentenced to death by Lady Stoneheart, the revived Catelyn Stark.
A Dance with Dragons
House Tarth at the end of the third century
The known Tarths during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Selwyn Tarth, the Evenstar and Lord of Tarth.
With unspecified familiar relationship to the main branch there is also:
- Edwyn Tarth, known as Edwyn Evenstar, King of Tarth. Edwyn's daughter married the Storm King Durran the Fair.
- Lord Tarth, the Evenstar of Tarth in the early reign of King Aegon I Targaryen.
- Lord Tarth, the Evenstar in the reign of King Aenys I Targaryen.
- Lord Cameron Tarth, the Evenstar late in the reign of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen.
- Lord Bryndemere Tarth, the Evenstar during King Aegon III Targaryen's regency.
- Ser Quentyn Tarth, a knight during the reign of King Daeron II Targaryen, present at the tourney at Ashford Meadow in 209 AC.
- A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Stormlands: The Men of the Stormlands.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 1, Jaime I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Stormlands: Andals in the Stormlands.
- A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 9, Brienne II.
- The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses from the Stormlands
- Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Men of the Stormlands.
- The World of Ice & Fire, House Durrandon.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Andals in the Stormlands.
- Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and Alysanne: Policy, Progeny, and Pain.
- Fire & Blood, Heirs of the Dragon - A Question of Succession.
- Fire & Blood, The Dance of the Dragons - The Blacks and the Greens.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - War and Peace and Cattle Shows.
- The Hedge Knight.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 60, Jon VIII.
- A Clash of Kings, Prologue.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 31, Catelyn III.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 33, Catelyn IV.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 39, Catelyn V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 69, Jon IX.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 72, Jaime IX.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 42, Brienne VIII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 48, Jaime I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 45, Catelyn VI.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 31, Brienne VI.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Stormlands: House Durrandon.
- Fire & Blood, Three Heads Had the Dragon - Governance Under King Aegon I.
- Fire & Blood, Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Their Triumphs and Tragedies.