From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
|House Harlaw of Harlaw|
|Coat of arms||Sable, a scythe argent|
|Current Lord||Lord Rodrik Harlaw|
|Title||Lord of Harlaw|
|Heir||Ser Harras Harlaw|
|Cadet Branch|| House Harlaw of Grey Garden|
House Harlaw of Harlaw Hall
House Harlaw of Tower of Glimmering
House Harlaw of Harridan Hill
All the other houses of Harlaw pledge fealty to them, incluiding Houses Volmark, Stonetree, Myre and Kenning. The Myres and the Kennings had been bitter foes in the past, but eventually submitted to the Harlaws.
Their original keep was Harlaw Hall, until Lord Theomore Harlaw (Rodrik's grand grandfather) constructed Ten Towers. Theomore had lost three newborn sons due to the dampness and unhealthiness of Harlaw Hall and decided to build a better located dwelling, but since Theomere was a man who used to change his opinion, he ended building ten different keeps that eventually were connected by wallwalks and covered bridges, creating the castle that would be known as the Ten Towers.
The Harlaw House at the end of the third century
The known Harlaws during the timespan of the events described on A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lord Rodrik Harlaw, Lord of Harlaw, Lord of Ten Towers, Harlaw of Harlaw. Called "the Reader" for his passion for books.
More distant relatives of Lord Rodrik include:
- Ser Harras Harlaw, Lord Rodrik's cousin and designated heir. The Knight of Grey Garden. Called "the Knight". His personal banner is the Harlaw scythe quartered with the peacock of his mother's House Serrett.
- Hotho Harlaw, Lord Rodrik's cousin, of the Tower of Glimmering. And ambitious man called "Hotho Humpback". His personal banner is the Harlaw scythe girdled within an embattled border.
- Boremund Harlaw, Lord Rodrik's cousin. Master of Harridan Hill. Called "Boremund the Blue". Father to three unnamed sons. His personal banner is the Harlaw scythe over a blue field.
- Sigfryd Harlaw, Lord Rodrik's great uncle. Master of Harlaw Hall. Called "Sigfryd Silverhair". He has sons and grandsons to follow him, but it is said that he intends to live forever. His personal banner is two scythes countercharged on a field divided bendwise.
With unspecified familiar relationship to the main branch there are also:
- House Volmark of Harlaw
- House Kenning of Harlaw
- House Myre of Harlaw
- House Stonetree of Harlaw
- House Harlaw of Grey Garden
- House Harlaw of Harlaw Hall
- House Harlaw of Tower of Glimmering
- House Harlaw of Harridan Hill
References in the books
A Song of Ice and Fire
- Longships with the silver scythe of the Harlaws were seen by Theon Greyjoy at Lordsport after King Balon Greyjoy called his banners.
- Lady Alannys dwells on Harlaw with her brother and sister.
- When entering the great hall with his father's captains Theon sees some Harlaws from Harlaw.
- Gevin, Dykk, and at least two other Harlaws joined Theon on the raid to the North and the taking of Winterfell, they all were probably slain by Bolton men.
- After Balon Greyjoy's death and Euron Greyjoy's seizure of the Seastone Chair, Lord Rodrik Harlaw summoned the lords of the Iron Islands to Ten Towers on Asha's behalf.
- Hotho Harlaw brought Archmaester Marwyn's Book of Lost Books from Oldtown trying to gain his favor, since he hoped to marry his daughter to him.
- Lord Harlaw's Sea Song is seen on the shores of Old Wyk during the kingsmoot.
- Rodrik Harlaw offered full support to his niece Asha during the kingsmoot. His designated heir Ser Harras also supported her as one of her three champions, although it is unknown whether he did it for convictions or to please Lord Rodrik. Hotho Harlaw offered his daughter to Victarion Greyjoy and supported him, but was one of the first to shout Euron's name after he revealed his plans.
- Aeron Greyjoy spotted the Harlaw scythe among the banners gathered for the kingsmoot on Old Wyk.
- Lord Rodrik, Ser Harras and Hotho were part of the raid of the ironmen on the Shield Islands commanded by Euron.
- Hotho Harlaw reports how Ser Harras planted his standard beneath the Grimm castle and defied them to single combat. After seven champions had been defeated, Lord Grimm's septon decided the gods had spoken and surrendered the castle.
- Victarion saw Rodrik Harlaw, Gorold Goodbrother and Dunstan Drumm talking at the yard of Oakenshield. The three were sharing their fear of a Tyrell reprisal.
- Ser Harras is named Lord of Greyshield by Euron, a move Victarion interpreted as a way to gain his loyalty at Lord Rodrik's cost. This also made Hotho the new heir to Ten Towers.
- Victarion remembers Ser Harras Harlaw being a friend of Rodrik Greyjoy, Balon's eldest son. He had defeated him in his youth, but he wonders how he would fare against him and his Valyrian steel blade now.
- Ser Harras bears a Valyrian steel sword called Nightfall.
References and Notes