|House Trant of Gallowsgrey|
|Coat of arms||
A black hanged man, on a blue field|
(Azure, a hanged man sable)
Duncan, having had his shield destroyed in a trial by combat at the Chequy Water against Ser Lucas Inchfield, bought a new shield during his stay at Stoney Sept. The shield had not been painted since its last owner and therefore still featured a hanged man as its sigil - most likely the personal arms of a member from House Trant. This inspired Duncan to adopt the temporary alias of the "Gallows Knight" for the wedding tourney at Whitewalls in 212 AC.
A Game of Thrones
Ser Meryn Trant is one of the three sworn brothers of the Kingsguard who protect King Robert I Baratheon on his journey to Winterfell to name his new Hand of the King. When Lord Eddard Stark is betrayed and arrested, Meryn is sent to capture Arya Stark and fights Syrio Forel.
A Clash of Kings
Meryn rides in the joust during the tourney on King Joffrey's name day. He breaks two lances with Ser Hobber Redwyne, unhorsing him on the second pass. Meryn is frequently ordered to beat Sansa Stark by King Joffrey I Baratheon. He is assigned to guard Joffrey during the Battle of the Blackwater.
A Storm of Swords
During the trial of Tyrion Lannister for the death of Joffrey, Meryn is called as a witness for the prosecution. He recounts that Tyrion beat Joffrey after the riots in King's Landing and that Tyrion threatened the king's life.
House Trant at the end of the third century
The known Trants during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
Behind the Scenes
- A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- The Citadel. House Mottoes
- The Citadel. Heraldry: House Trant
- The Hedge Knight.
- The Mystery Knight.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 8, Bran II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 50, Arya IV.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 2, Sansa I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 57, Sansa V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 66, Tyrion IX.
- So Spake Martin: King's Landing 10 Questions, September 22, 2000
- Not A Blog: Reading Recommendations, March 13, 2013