At the pit's entrance are the Gates of Fate, where the names of all gladiators who have died in the arena are engraved. The circular brick arena has descending tiers of benches, each in a different color. The colors are:
The bottom tiers, the red and orange, are for the highest ranking of Meereen. The black and purple benches, the highest from the arena, are for the lowest of Meereen, usually slaves or the poorer Meereenese citizens.
A Storm of Swords
A Dance with Dragons
In celebration of the marriage between Daenerys and Hizdahr zo Loraq - who had bought all fighting pits in the city after it was conquered - and the peace between Yunkai and Meereen, the fighting pit is reopened. Several fights and spectacles take place but the noise and smell of blood draws Drogon to the pit, where he causes death and chaos and leaves with Daenerys on his back.
After Viserion and Rhaegal are accidentally unleashed upon the city, the ruling council of Meereen herd 1,000 sheep into the pit to feed them and keep them sated. The dragons prove to have a taste for mutton, returning to the pit whenever they grow hungry.
|“||And I saw that dragon ripping off arms and legs, tearing men in half, burning them down to ash and bones. People started running, trying to get out of that pit, but I come to see a show, and by all of gods of Ghis, I saw one. I was up in the purple, so I didn't think the dragon was like to trouble me.||”|
References and Notes
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 47, Tyrion X.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 52, Daenerys IX.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 59, The Discarded Knight.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 11, Daenerys II.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 57, Daenerys V.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 70, The Queen's Hand.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 57, Tyrion XI.