Storming of the Dragonpit
|Storming of the Dragonpit|
|Conflict||Dance of the Dragons|
|Place||Dragonpit, King's Landing|
|Result|| Mob victory|
Death of five dragons
The Storming of the Dragonpit took place during the civil war. During the riots tearing the city apart, a crazed mob of smallfolk, maddened by the Shepherd's rantings, forced their way into the Dragonpit at King's Landing and slew four dragons housed there and afterwards slew Syrax.
Dragons housed within the dragonpit
The dragons housed within the Dragonpit at that time:
- Shrykos - Originally claimed by Prince Jaehaerys Targaryen, unclaimed since Jaehaerys' death
- Morghul - Claimed by Princess Jaehaera Targaryen
- Tyraxes - Claimed by Prince Joffrey Velaryon
- Dreamfyre - Originally ridden by Queen Helaena Targaryen, unclaimed since Helaena's death
The mob was able to clamber through windows and break down the Dragonpit's lesser entrance doors made of oak and iron using crude rams and the blows of countless axes. By the time the attackers came pouring onto the sands all four dragons were roused, awake, and angry. 
Trapped within the pit, hemmed in by wall and dome and bound by their heavy chains the dragons were not able to fly away or use their wings to evade attacks and swoop down on their foes. Instead the four dragons fought with their horns and claws and teeth, turning this way and that like the bulls in a Flea Bottom rat pit. They let loose their dragonflame and transformed the Dragonpit into a fiery inferno. At the same time Syrax, who was being stabled in the Red Keep, was loosed by Prince Joffrey Velaryon.
- Shrykos was the first dragon to succumb, slain by Hobb the Hewer
- Morghul was slain by the Burning Knight.
- Tyraxes was also slain however half a dozen men and one woman claimed to have dealt the death blow
- Only Dreamfyre was able to break free from her remaining bonds. She took wing and slew more men that the other three dragons combined. Eventually rendered half-blind and maddened she flew into the pit's great dome above which cracked on impact and half of it came tumbling down, crushing her.
Aftermath: Syrax descends
The Storming of the Dragonpit was now over - but the unchained and riderless Syrax was in the skies above. She was drawn to Rhaenys's Hill. As the burned and bloody survivors of the carnage came stumbling from the smoking ruins Syrax descended upon them above. A thousand shrieks and shouts echoed across King's Landing mingling with the dragon's roar. Atop Rhaeny’s Hill the Dragonpit wore a crown of yellow fire. It burned so bright it seemed as if the sun was rising. Syrax attacked the mob and devoured dozens. Eventually the queen's dragon was slain. Many conflicting tales are told of her death but one thing is certain - she died that night.
No one knows how many smallfolk died that night, hundreds definitely, possibly thousands.
|“||Drunks they may be, but a drunken man knows not fear. Fools, aye, but a fool can kill a king. Rats, that too, but a thousand rats can bring down a bear.||”|
References and Notes