A moratorium is in effect on adding information from Fire and Blood until December 20th.
Prince of Dorne
For thousands of years Dorne was a patchwork of petty First Men and Andal kingdoms which included the Kings of the Torrentine, the Kings of Stone and Sky, and the different houses laying claim to the title of High Kings of Dorne. Sailing on ten thousand ships, Princess Nymeria led the Rhoynar to southeastern Dorne. Nymeria married Lord Mors Martell of the Sandship, forming House Nymeros Martell, and the Rhoynar intermarried with the bannermen of Mors. Nymeria named her husband "Prince of Dorne", using the Rhoynish term instead of the Westerosi title of "king". The addition of Rhoynish power allowed the Martells to conquer Dorne in Nymeria's War, reducing the rival kings to vassals.
Dorne successfully resisted House Targaryen during the War of Conquest and First Dornish War. When Dorne was peacefully incorporated into the Seven Kingdoms during the reign of Daeron II Targaryen, the Dornishmen received concessions from the Iron Throne, unlike the other Great Houses. Among these were the right to retain the Dornish royal title of prince, while the rulers of the other regions of the Seven Kingdoms had been reduced to Wardens or Lords Paramount during the War of Conquest and forced to give up their royal titles and crowns.
Known Princes and Princesses of Dorne
- Prince Mors Martell
- Princess Meria Martell, the "Yellow Toad of Dorne".
- Prince Qoren Martell, who ruled Dorne during the reigns of Viserys I Targaryen and Aegon II Targaryen
- The unidentified Prince of Dorne who knelt to Daeron I Targaryen and later discussed peace with Baelor I Targaryen, and the marriage of his eldest daughter, Mariah, to Baelor's nephew, Prince Daeron.
- The unidentified Princess of Dorne, mother of Doran, Elia and Oberyn, who arranged the marriage between Elia and Rhaegar Targaryen.
Prince Doran Martell's heir is currently his daughter and eldest child, Princess Arianne Martell. As Prince Doran's eldest son, and second born child overall, Prince Quentyn, is deceased, his youngest son, Prince Trystane, is currently next in line.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Ancient History: Ten Thousand Ships.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Dorne: Dorne Against the Dragons.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Daeron II.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Dorne: Queer Customs of the South.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Baelor I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 38, The Watcher.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 70, Tyrion X.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 2, The Captain Of Guards.
- A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 70, The Queen's Hand.