The Yellow Toad of Dorne, as depicted by Magali Villeneuve in The World of Ice and Fire
|Alias||Yellow Toad of Dorne|
|Other Titles||Princess of Dorne|
|Born in||or around 82 BC (roughly)|
|Died in||13 AC|
|Royal House||House Martell|
|Books||The World of Ice and Fire (mentioned)|
- Main article: Aegon's Conquest
When King Aegon I Targaryen sent ravens to all the rulers of Westeros, demanding that they yield to him as sole king in Westeros and be rewarded or be destroyed, Meria replied she would be his ally against the Storm King - but would not yield.
When Queen Rhaenys Targaryen led the invasion to Dorne during the War of Conquest, the Dornish refused to give battle. Instead, they launched guerilla raids on Rhaenys's forces, then melted away into the mountains and deserts, and returned only to launch guerilla raids on the army anew. After taking the Dornish keeps, Rhaenys would find them empty, except for women and children. When she would ask where the men had gone to, the Dornish would just reply "away". Rhaenys thereupon flew on her dragon, Meraxes, to Sunspear and met Princess Meria alone there. Rhaenys demanded the surrender of Dorne, but Meria instead replied that Dorne would never surrender. The Targaryen army then withdrew from Dorne, leaving the country untaken.
The First Dornish War
- Main article: First Dornish War
While Dorne had remained unconquered during the Conquest, King Aegon I did not forget. In 4 AC, he launched a new campaign against Dorne, one that would last for many years. During this First Dornish War, instead of remaining at Sunspear, Meria, along with all the other Dornish lords, fled their castles, simply yielding them up. It did not take long for the Targaryen forces to reach Sunspear, find it empty, and declare themselves the victors. Lord Rosby was installed as the castellan and Warden of the Sands, Lord Harlan Tyrell was put in charge of putting down any revolts, and so the Targaryens left Dorne and returned to King's Landing.
The Dornishmen had not surrendered, however. They swarmed from the shadow city and retook the castle, and once Lord Rosby was bound hand and foot, he was dragged to the top of the Spear Tower. Princess Meria herself threw him from the window in the Defenestration of Sunspear. In an attempt to retake Sunspear from Meria and her forces, Lord Harlan Tyrell set out from Hellholt to take the Vaith and then Sunspear, but he vanished in the Dornish deserts, never to be found again, in 5 AC.
|“||Meria: I will not fight you, nor will I kneel to you. Dorne has no king. Tell your brother that.
Rhaenys: I shall, but we will come again, Princess, and the next time we shall come with fire and blood.
- ↑ Notes taken from readings of Gyldayn's account of the Conquest prior to the release of The World of Ice and Fire listed her name incorrectly as Mirram Martell (So Spake Martin: Chicon 7 Reading (September 02, 2012)) and Mariya Martell (Wertzone: The Full Story of the Targaryen Conquest (September 04, 2012)).
- ↑ See the Meria Martell calculation.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, Dorne Against the Dragons.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 The World of Ice & Fire, Dorne: Dorne Against the Dragons.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: House Tyrell.