|Born||At 248 AC or 249 AC|
|Died||In 300 AC (suspected), at the north|
|Book(s)|| A Game of Thrones (appears)|
A Clash of Kings (appears)
A Storm of Swords (appendix)
A Feast for Crows (appendix)
A Dance with Dragons (appears)
Ser Jared Frey is a knight of House Frey. He is the fourth son of Lord Walder Frey, the first son born from his second wife, Cyrenna Swann. He is married to his cousin Alys Frey and has two children, Ser Tytos and Kyra Frey.
Appearance and Character
A Game of Thrones
Jared attends the Hand's tourney at King's Landing with five of his brothers, but is too old to ride in the lists. He attends Lord Walder Frey at the parley with Lady Catelyn Stark at the Twins. He is nearby when Catelyn informs her son, Robb Stark, of the alliance negotiated with Walder.
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Dance with Dragons
Along with Rhaegar Frey and Symond Frey, Jared travels on the Lionstar to White Harbor via Sisterton to return the bones of Ser Wendel Manderly, who was killed in the Red Wedding, to his father, Lord Wyman Manderly. The Freys also want to ensure White Harbor bends the knee to the Iron Throne. They offer Wyman a Frey bride and betrothals of Rhaegar to his granddaughter Wynafryd and Little Walder Frey to Wyman's other granddaughter, Wylla.
When Lord Davos Seaworth arrives in White Harbor persuade House Manderly to support Stannis Baratheon, the three Freys are already present. While Wendel was actually murdered by the Freys, Jared claims the Red Wedding was the doing of Robb Stark, the King in the North, and that Wendel died defending Lord Walder Frey from Robb, who had changed into a rabid wolf. A shocked Davos calls Jared a liar. Jared draws his sword and is close to attacking Davos, but Wyman says he will have no bloodshed in the Merman's Court.
The angered Wyman pretends to agree with the Freys, as the Iron Throne holds hostage his surviving son and heir, Ser Wylis Manderly, at Harrenhal. Wyman fakes Davos's death by having a criminal with similar features executed and his head dipped in tar so the Freys falsely believe him to be Davos. As a reward for proving his loyalty, Queen Cersei Lannister has Wylis returned to White Harbor via Maidenpool.
Wyman gives Jared, Rhaegar, and Symond palfreys as "guest gifts" when the three Freys depart White Harbor for the wedding of "Arya Stark" to Ramsay Bolton. They disappear while traveling to Barrowton, however, despite the search efforts of Ramsay.
At Winterfell after Ramsay's wedding, Wyman presents three huge pies at the wedding feast while requesting a song from the singer Abel about the Rat Cook. Aenys and Ser Hosteen Frey suspect Wyman of foul play.
|“||Davos: Is it your claim that Robb Stark killed Wendel Manderly?
Jared: And many more. Mine own son Tytos was amongst them, and my daughter's husband. When Stark changed into a wolf, his northmen did the same. The mark of the beast was on them all. Wargs birth other wargs with a bite, it is well-known. It was all my brothers and I could do to put them down before they slew us all.
References and Notes
- ↑ See the Jared Frey calculation.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 59, Catelyn IX.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 64, Arya X.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 29, Davos IV.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 19, Davos III.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 29, Sansa II.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 30, Arya VII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Epilogue.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 9, Davos I.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 17, Cersei IV.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 30, Jaime IV.
- ↑ Guest gifts are usually given when a guest leaves, making them no longer under the protection of guest right.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 32, Reek III.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 37, The Prince of Winterfell.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 46, A Ghost in Winterfell.