From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
- See also: Images of Drowned Men
In the religion of the Drowned God, ironmen of the isles have seawater poured over their heads. A priest asks the Drowned God to have his "servant be born again from the sea, as you were. Bless him with salt, bless him with stone, bless him with steel." The man being baptized then responds, "What is dead may never die."
Ironmen can become drowned men by being submerged in salt water a second time in earnest and brought back to life with a crude form of cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Not all men are successfully revived, however. Aeron Greyjoy, known as the Damphair, has never failed in a resuscitation.
The drowned men wear roughspun robes of mottled green, grey, and blue, the colors of the Drowned God. They carry driftwood cudgels to show their devotion in battle, and skins of saltwater to perform ritual anointment as well as to sate their thirst.
While priests of the Drowned God must not shed the blood of ironborn, they have no such reservation about other methods of killing, such as drowning.
Known Drowned Men
Historical Drowned Men
- Galon, called Galon "Whitestaff", who lived during the Age of Heroes and unified the Iron Islands under the first High King.
- The Shrike, who led an uprising against Harmund III Hoare.
|“||The Sparr: These are not matters I would speak of here before these others.
|“||The god took me deep beneath the waves and drowned the worthless thing I was. When he cast me forth again he gave me eyes to see, ears to hear, and a voice to spread his word, that I might be his prophet and teach his truth to those who have forgotten.||”|
References and Notes
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 1, The Prophet.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 11, Theon.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 24, Theon.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 11, The Kraken's Daughter.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Iron Islands.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, Driftwood Crowns.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Black Blood.