Defender of the Vale
Defender of the Vale, alternatively Protector of the Vale or Lord of the Vale, is one of the hereditary titles traditionally held by the head of House Arryn, along with Lord of the Eyrie. The Arryns rule the Vale of Arryn, which includes the Vale proper and the Mountains of the Moon.
House Arryn ruled as Kings of Mountain and Vale after the Battle of the Seven Stars in the Andal invasion. They submitted to House Targaryen during Aegon's Conquest, however, and have since served as Defenders of the Vale and Wardens of the East.
A Game of Thrones
A Storm of Swords
- A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Vale.
- Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Blacks and the Greens.
- The Sons of the Dragon.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 34, Catelyn VI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 68, Sansa VI.