First Turtle War
|First Turtle War |
Part of Rhoynish Wars
|Date||~ -950 AC|
|Result||Victory for Sar Mell when Volon Therys was flooded|
The First Turtle War was a war fought between the Valyrian Freehold city Volon Therys and the Rhoynar city Sar Mell. It was the first of the Rhoynish Wars, a series of conflicts which would last for about two and a half centuries.
The First Turtle War was a bloody, but short war, lasting less than a moon's turn.
The war was fought between Volon Therys and Sar Mell. According to legend, the war began when the Valyrians killed a gigantic turtle, one of those called the Old Men of the River by the Rhoynar. The Rhoynar hold these turtles sacred, viewing them as the consorts of Mother Rhoyne herself.
During the course of the war, Sar Mell was raided and burned. They emerged victorious when Rhoynish water wizards called up the power of the river, and proceeded to flood Volon Therys. If the tales can be believed, half the city was washed away.
- The series of conflicts known as the Rhoynish Wars ended a thousand years before the main series, and had lasted roughly two and a half centuries, the First Turtle War being the first of them
- The World of Ice & Fire, Ancient History: Ten Thousand Ships.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 8, Tyrion III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 14, Tyrion IV.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 18, Tyrion V.