Lands of the Long Summer
The Lands of the Long Summer is a region located in the southern part of central Essos. To the northwest is the Sea of Sighs. Directly to the north lie the city Mantarys and the Valyrian demon road. To the south is the Smoking Sea and the ruined Valyrian peninsula. A Valyrian road runs through the Lands of the Long Summer, running south from Mantarys to the ruined city of Oros, from where it runs westward along the coast past another ruined city back to the demon road.
The Lands of the Long Summer were once part of the fabled Valyrian Freehold. All Free Cities, except for Braavos, looked to the Lands of the Long Summer for leadership in times of crisis. In the centuries after the fall of the Old Empire of Ghis, the adventurers, exiles and traders from the Freehold of Valyria began to expand beyond the Lands of the Long Summer, towards the lands of the Rhoynar.
The Lands of the Long Summer were once the most fertile in all the world. However, in 114 BC, the Doom fell on the Lands of the Long Summer, during which they became scorched, drowned and blighted. Now, the way across these once so fertile lands is considered to be "long and grueling".
- A Dance with Dragons, Map of Valyria
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Lands of the Long Summer.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Free Cities.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Ancient History: Ten Thousand Ships.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Ancient History: The Doom of Valyria.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 3, Daenerys I.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Free Cities: Volantis.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 33, Tyrion VIII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 57, Daenerys V.