Slaver's Bay and the location of Mantarys
|Location||North of the Lands of the Long Summer|
Mantarys is a city to the north of the Lands of the Long Summer on the north tip of the Sea of Sighs, where a river flows south from the Painted Mountains. It is connected by Valyrian roads to the ruined cities of Bhorash and Oros. The demon road passes through Mantarys. It has a sinister repute and is allegedly a city of monsters.
Mantarys was founded by the Valyrian Freehold. Although rich and glorious, it did not have self-rule and instead men and women sent from Valyria ruled it in the name of the Freehold - thus it is not counted among the Free Cities. Mantarys remained inhabited after the Doom of Valyria, but its people are said to be twisted and monstrous.
A Dance with Dragons
Daenerys Targaryen, Queen of Meereen, sends a mission to Mantarys hoping to find new friends to the west to balance the enmity of Yunkai to the south. Mantarys's answer comes by way of caravan in a cedar chest - inside she finds the pickled heads of three of her envoys. Instead, the city agrees to an alliance with Yunkai.
Tyrion Lannister sees a two-headed slave girl out of Mantarys in Yezzan zo Qaggaz's grotesquerie.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Map of Valyria
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 22, Tyrion VI.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Free Cities.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, Ancient History: The Doom of Valyria.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 16, Daenerys III.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 23, Daenerys IV.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 47, Tyrion X.