Tolos is a port city in central Essos.
Tolos lies on the northwest coast of Slaver's Bay on the Black Cliffs. It is connected by Valyrian roads to Mantarys and Bhorash. To the west lies the city of Elyria on its island.
Tolos is famed for producing the finest slingers in Essos, who throw soft lead balls in place of stones which do tremendous damage to human flesh.
Hizdahr zo Loraq has kin and influence in Tolos.
A Dance with Dragons
Ships from Tolos are spotted by Quentyn Martell in the harbors of Volantis.
Daenerys Targaryen sends missions to Tolos hoping to forge an alliance to balance out the enmity of Yunkai in the south, but Tolos joins Mantarys in allying with Yunkai. The envoys sent to Tolos return and report the city declares her a whore and demands she return Meereen to its Great Masters. A carrack out of Tolos is soon spotted among the naval fleet that closes Meereen from the rest of Slaver's Bay.
Tolosi slingers are spotted among the Yunkish army marching up the coast road to Meereen. Tyrion Lannister witnesses a group of Tolosi torture and kill three slaves, noting the extreme damage the slinger's soft lead balls do to the body.
The bloody flux is later reported to have taken hold among the Tolosi forces within the Yunkish host outside of Meereen, spreading the disease across the Skahazadhan river to the third Ghiscari legion.
References and Notes
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Map of Valyria
- ↑ George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, "Tolos" entry.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 2, Daenerys I.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 6, The Merchant's Man.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 16, Daenerys III.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 23, Daenerys IV.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 36, Daenerys VI.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 47, Tyrion X.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 50, Daenerys VIII.