The city of Asshai is located at the southwestern tip of the Shadow Lands. To the north and northeast, the Shadow Lands meet the Mountains of the Morn. Leng and the Manticore Isles lie in the Jade Sea to the west. South of the Shadow are the Saffron Straits, Ulos, and Ulthos. The river Ash travels from the Mountains of the Morn to the Jade Sea, mostly through the Vale of Shadows, a valley so narrow with such high cliffs that is is said to be always in shadow except at noon.
Ghost grass grows throughout the Shadow Lands. It is said that demons and dragons are among the creatures dwelling in cliff caves in the mountains. The ruined corpse city of Stygai, which even shadowbinders fear, lies at the heart of the Shadow.
A Game of Thrones
Magister Illyrio Mopatis tells Daenerys Targaryen that the three dragon eggs he gives her as wedding gifts come from the Shadow Lands beyond Asshai. Daenerys recalls hearing that the first dragons had come from the east, from the Shadow Lands beyond Asshai and the islands of the Jade Sea.
A Clash of Kings
A Feast for Crows
Euron: Only one living kraken has never known defeat. Only one has never bent his knee. Only one has sailed to Asshai by the Shadow, and seen wonders and terrors beyond imagining ...
Qarl: If you liked the Shadow so well, go back there.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 11, Daenerys II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 12, Daenerys I.
- The Lands of Ice and Fire, The East.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Bones and Beyond: Asshai-by-the-Shadow.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Stygai.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 54, Daenerys VI.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Ancient History: The Rise of Valyria.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Bones and Beyond: The Yi Ti.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 64, Daenerys VIII.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 23, Daenerys III.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 36, Daenerys IV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 19, The Drowned Man.