Pact of Ice and Fire
At the start of the civil war, Prince Jacaerys Velaryon flew to Winterfell to gain House Stark and the North for the cause of his mother, Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen. Part of the alliance called for a royal princess to marry into the family of Lord Cregan Stark. According to a semi-canon source, Mushroom alleged that when Prince Jacaerys was in Winterfell, he fell in love with and secretly married Cregan's bastard half-sister.
Lord Roderick Dustin led the Winter Wolves to join the blacks, while House Manderly also contributed knights to Rhaenyra's side. Lord Cregan himself led a host to King's Landing near the end of the war, but they arrived after the death of King Aegon II Targaryen.
Cregan briefly governed in the capital as Hand of the King during the Hour of the Wolf. Although a royal princess never did marry into the Starks, Cregan gained many rewards for his support of King Aegon III Targaryen.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Princess and the Queen.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon II.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The World of Ice & Fire, The North: The Lords of Winterfell.
- ↑ AMAA w/ Elio & Linda of Westeros.org ANSWERS /r/asoiaf's top TWENTY Questions
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon III.