Rum is an alcoholic beverage made from sugarcane. It is popular with sailors, who receive daily rations.
A Feast for Crows
Samwell Tarly and Gilly drink spiced rum for the first time while sailing on the Cinnamon Wind, a swan ship of the Summer Isles. After he passes away, the body of Maester Aemon is preserved in a cask of blackbelly rum.
A Dance with Dragons
To get to Yunkai the Windblown sail on an overcrowded ship tossed by wind and sea, eat hard-bread crawling with weevils, and drink black tar rum to sweet oblivion.
Tyrion Lannister celebrates his survival of the first storm that hits the Selaesori Qhoran by sharing a few tots of black tar rum and playing cyvasse with the ship's cook.
While in Pynto's, Arya Stark observes Lyseni sailors off the Goodheart speaking quietly over cups of black tar rum.
||Sam had never drunk rum before. The liquor was strange and heady; sweet at first, but with a fiery aftertaste that burned his tongue.
- thoughts of Samwell Tarly
||Have some wine, then. Compliments of our captain. Closer to piss than Arbor gold, if truth be told, but even piss tastes better than the black tar rum the sailors drink.
- Tyrion Lannister
||You could get drunk much quicker on rum than on wine, Tyrion Lannister had discovered.
- thoughts of Tyrion Lannister
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 33, Tyrion VIII.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 40, Tyrion IX.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 35, Samwell IV.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 25, The Windblown.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 45, The Blind Girl.