Bethany Bracken, by Magali Villeneuve, as depicted in The World of Ice and Fire
|Born||In 156 AC or later|
|Died||In 178 AC|
|Book(s)|| The World of Ice and Fire (mentioned)|
A Storm of Swords (mentioned)
A Feast for Crows (mentioned)
A Dance with Dragons (mentioned)
Barba Bracken was King Aegon IV Targaryen's fifth mistress, and her father, Lord Bracken, had been his Hand, but they had been sent away in 172 AC and Melissa Blackwood had become Aegon's mistress. Barba and her father groomed her younger sister, Bethany, expressly to win the king's favor and displace Melissa Blackwood as his mistress.
In 177 AC, Bethany caught Aegon's eye when he visited Stone Hedge to see his and Barba's bastard son, Aegor Rivers. By then, the king was fat and foul-tempered, but Bethany delighted him, and he took her back with him to King's Landing. However, Bethany found Aegon's embraces distressing, and for comfort she turned to a handsome knight of the Kingsguard, Ser Terrence Toyne. The pair was discovered abed by Aegon himself in 178 AC. Even though they proclaimed their love, Bethany was forced to watch while Terrence was dismembered piece by piece. Both Bethany and her father were then executed.
References and Notes
- ↑ See the Bethany Bracken calculation.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon IV.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 24, The Lost Lord.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 16, Sansa II.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 13, The Soiled Knight.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 17, Cersei IV.