The Black Goat of Qohor is a god of the Free City of Qohor, which was founded by worshippers of the Black Goat who abandoned Valyria in rejection of the Freehold's tenet of religious tolerance.
The Faceless Men consider it one of the faces of the Many-Faced God.
The Black Goat is also represented in the banner of the Brave Companions, a sellsword company led by the Qohorik Vargo Hoat.
The Black Goat demands daily blood sacrifice. The Qohorik often bring calves, bullocks, and horses before the Black Goat's altars. However, on holy days it is condemned criminals who go beneath the knives of the god's cowled priests, and, in times of danger and crisis it is written that the high nobles of the city offer their own children to placate the Black Goat, that he might defend the city.
A Feast for Crows
After arriving at the House of Black and White, Arya Stark sees the statue of a shaggy black goat the size of an aurochs.
It is reported that followers of R'hllor have tried to burn the Black Goat in Qohor.
References and Notes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The World of Ice & Fire,The Free Cities: Qohor.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire,The Free Cities: Norvos.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 34, Cat Of The Canals.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 30, Arya VII.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 6, Arya I.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 21, The Queenmaker.