Brienne of Tarth/Theories
From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
|Theories may be removed if ...|
Descendant of Dunk?
- The author mentioned that A Feast for Crows would feature a descendant of Dunk.
- In A Feast for Crows, Brienne recalls a shield she saw as a child in her father’s armory. Its description matches Dunk's own shield.
- Both Dunk and Brienne are uncommonly tall and strong.
- Author confirmed we will learn how Brienne descends from Dunk "eventually" at Balticon 2016.
The word uttered, previously unknown
The word she utters at her last scene in A Feast for Crows is "sword" (in response to the choice of "noose" or "sword")
- GRRM confirmed it during Miscon 2012. He also explained that her main motivation was sparing Podrick Payne's life.
Brienne is potentially the 6th in line for the Iron Throne.
- We know that House Tarth and House Targaryen have had "recent" blood ties.
- However, looking at the Targaryen family tree, there are only two family members unaccounted for in terms of spouse.
- These are the sisters of Aegon V, Rhae and Daella Targaryen.
- These two sisters are confirmed as marrying and having children, as mentioned by Maester Aemon in Samwell IV of A Feast For Crows.
- From the process of elimination, these must be the only potential spouses for a member of House Tarth.
- Assuming that such a male house member is a direct ancestor of Brienne, this would place Selwyn Tarth and then Brienne in the direct line of succession, which currently runs -
- Aegon (if he is legitimate) -> Daenerys -> Stannis -> Shireen. Selwyn and Brienne would be immediately after Shireen.
- However this is also dependent on if House Tarth are descendants of Daella (the elder daughter) or Rhae. If they are of Rhae, it would depend on whether or not Daella still has living descendants.