Tournament in honor of Viserys's birth
The tournament in honor of Viserys's birth was a great tourney at Lannisport in 276 AC. It was held by Lord Tywin Lannister to honor the birth of Prince Viserys Targaryen and to welcome King Aerys II Targaryen to the westerlands. Aerys initially did not want to attend, but he eventually relented; Queen Rhaella Targaryen and the newborn Viserys remained in King's Landing, however. Viewing stands for the tourney were raised beneath the walls of Lannisport, while the smallfolk's cheers echoed off Casterly Rock like thunder.
Then ten years old, Cersei Lannister was infatuated when she saw the seventeen-year-old crown prince, Rhaegar Targaryen, who was newly knighted. Rhaegar defeated two of Cersei's uncles and a dozen of Lord Tywin's finest knights in the joust before falling to Ser Arthur Dayne of the Kingsguard. That night, Rhaegar's harp playing made Cersei cry.
Lady Genna Lannister confided to her niece, Cersei, that the young girl would be betrothed to Prince Rhaegar in the feast ending the tourney. The happy Cersei then visited the tent of Maggy the Frog with her friends, Jeyne Farman and Melara Hetherspoon. There was no celebratory feast, however; Aerys rejected Tywin's offer, as he considered Tywin, his Hand of the King, a servant. Cersei was left in tears, while the tension between Aerys and Tywin increased.
- Prince Rhaegar Targaryen defeated Tygett Lannister
- Prince Rhaegar Targaryen defeated Gerion Lannister
- Prince Rhaegar Targaryen defeated twelve knights of the westerlands
- Prince Rhaegar Targaryen defeated Ser Barristan Selmy
- Ser Arthur Dayne defeated Prince Rhaegar Targaryen
– thoughts of Cersei Lannister
– Aerys II Targaryen to Tywin Lannister