|Born||In 240 AC or before|
|TV series||Season 1|
Clydas is a steward of the Night's Watch.
Short and chinless, Clydas is considered ugly by Jon Snow. A few white hairs still cling to his scalp. Clydas has pink, weak eyes and is hunched with rounded shoulders.
Jon estimates Clydas to be about sixty years old.
For years Clydas and Chett have helped tend to Maester Aemon's needs and helped with the ravens at Castle Black.
A Game of Thrones
Because Maester Aemon is blind, the half-blind Clydas reads messages to him.
A Storm of Swords
Clydas aids Aemon when the maester treats the wounds of Jon Snow. A woman from Mole's Town aids Aemon and Clydas as they deal with wounds suffered by those fighting in the attack on Castle Black.
A Feast for Crows
When Aemon is sent away by Jon, the new Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Clydas takes over the duties of tending to the ravens and the wounded. Before leaving, Aemon has Clydas mark passages in the Jade Compendium for Jon.
A Dance with Dragons
Clydas mulls wine and offers a cup to Jon, who tells the steward of Stannis Baratheon's sword, Lightbringer. Clydas informs Jon of a letter sent by Ramsay Bolton after the siege of Moat Cailin, and he also informs Jon of a letter from Stannis after the fight by Deepwood Motte.
Clydas treats Alys Karstark when she flees to Castle Black. After Alys tells her tale, Clydas sends a message to Deepwood hoping to warn Stannis of Arnolf Karstark's treachery. Clydas brings Jon letters from Cotter Pyke. Jon tasks Clydas with tending to any of Tormund's people who are sick.
Clydas is frightened by a letter to Jon entitled "Bastard" and sealed with pink wax. He brings it to Jon unopened.
He's sixty if he's a day. An old man. He only seemed young compared with Aemon. Short and round, he had the dim pink eyes of some nocturnal creature.
Clydas tended to the ravens well enough, but he had not a tenth of Aemon Targaryen's knowledge or experience, and even less of his wisdom.
Cellador would be half-drunk, and Clydas was a poor substitute for a real maester, but they were what he had.
- ↑ See the Clydas calculation.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 41, Jon V.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 10, Jon III.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 60, Jon VIII.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 48, Jon VI.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 5, Samwell I.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 41, Jon V.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 52, Jon VII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 55, Jon VII.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 28, Jon VI.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 35, Jon VII.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 44, Jon IX.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 49, Jon X.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 58, Jon XII.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 53, Jon XI.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 69, Jon XIII.