|Born||In 281 AC|
A Game of Thrones
Robb Stark takes Olyvar as a squire as part of the pact sealed between Catelyn Stark and Lord Walder Frey at the Twins to join the Freys to the Stark cause in the War of the Five Kings. Two years older than Robb, Olyvar is considered an excellent squire who proves his devotion to Robb and the Starks. He is part of Robb's battle guard in the battle in the Whispering Wood.
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
When the Freys abandon Robb's cause after his marriage to Jeyne Westerling, Olyvar wishes to stay with him at the Crag. The other members of his family force him to return to the Twins, however. Rollam Westerling becomes Robb's new squire.
Catelyn expects Olyvar to attend his sister Roslin's marriage at the Twins to Lord Edmure Tully. Ser Ryman Frey claims that Olyvar cannot attend because of duty, however, and Olyvar is not present for the Red Wedding. Catelyn remembers Olyvar as being "devoted to her son", and it is possible that the other Freys kept him away due to his friendship with Robb.
- See the Olyvar Frey calculation.
- A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 63, Catelyn X.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 14, Catelyn II.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 51, Catelyn VII.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 59, Catelyn IX.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 7, Catelyn I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45, Catelyn V.