Ser Desmond Grell. © Fantasy Flight Games
|Born||In or between 237 AC and 240 AC (roughly)|
A Game of Thrones (mentioned)|
A Clash of Kings (appears)
A Storm of Swords (appears)
A Feast for Crows (appears)
A Dance with Dragons (appendix)
He has a large belly.
Desmond was born of House Grell, one of the minor houses of the riverlands. He entered the service of Lord Hoster Tully at a young age. Catelyn Tully says he was a squire when she was born, a knight by the time she learned to ride and the master-at arms at Riverrun before she was wed to Eddard Stark. During Catelyn's bedding on her wedding night, he apologized for every bawdy joke he made about her.
A Clash of Kings
Ser Desmond is in charge of training new bowmen to replace those lost in the Battle of Riverrun and the Battle of the Camps. During the attempt to free Ser Jaime Lannister from his cell, Ser Desmond's squire Myles is slain by Ser Jaime. When Edmure Tully rides out to meet the Lannister forces at the Battle of the Fords, he leaves Ser Desmond as commander of Riverrun in his absence.
A Storm of Swords
Ser Desmond is named castellan of Riverrun upon Edmure Tully's departure. Thus he has to deal with Catelyn Tully's betrayal when she lets Ser Jaime Lannister go. He imprisons her in her father's rooms while awaiting the return of her brother and son. He is supposed to be one of the nobles who launch Lord Hoster Tully's funeral boat, but is asked to step aside when Lothar Frey, the envoy from the Twins, has arrived with Lord Walder Frey's response to King Robb Stark's overtures.
A Feast for Crows
- Ser Desmond to Jaime Lannister on why he prefers to take the black
- See the Desmond Grell calculation.
- A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 39, Catelyn V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 2, Catelyn I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 51, Catelyn VII.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 7, Catelyn I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 45, Catelyn VI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 35, Catelyn IV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 44, Jaime VII.