From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
The trade talk or trade tongue is a sailors' pidgin language, commonly encountered in ports across the Free Cities. It is also encountered at least as far across the world as ships from the Free Cities are known to regularly travel, such as Meereen in Slaver's Bay.
It is composed of a coarse jumble of words and phrases from a dozen languages, accompanied by hand signs and gestures, most of them insulting. It is frequently heard in the wharves, docks, and sailor's taverns of Braavos. The trade talk's sounds have been described as "guttural".
Sothoryi who dwell closest to the Summer Sea are said to have learned the trade talk.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 14, Brienne III.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 47, Tyrion X.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 34, Cat Of The Canals.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, Beyond the Free Cities: Sothoryos.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 14, Tyrion IV.