|Alias||Old Lord Whent|
|Title||Lord of Harrenhal|
|Spouse||Lady Shella Whent|
The World of Ice & Fire (mentioned)|
A Storm of Swords (mentioned)
A Dance with Dragons (mentioned)
Walter was as open handed as he was rich.
In 281 AC, the year of the false spring, Walter hosted the great tourney at Harrenhal to honor his maiden daughter. Ser Barristan Selmy recalls that the tourney was announced by Lord Whent shortly after he was visited by his brother, Ser Oswell Whent of the Kingsguard. Lord Whent's daughter reigned as queen of love and beauty when the tourney began. Her four brothers and her uncle, Oswell, swore to defend her crown, but Prince Rhaegar Targaryen won the joust and named Lyanna Stark the new queen of love and beauty.
A Dance with Dragons
With all the semi-canon and canon information taken into account, this is the current tree for House Whent as described in the main series.[N 1] Both Shella[N 2] and her husband, Walter,[N 1] appear to have been Whents by birth. Their relation to each other, besides their marriage, is as of yet unknown. Until any confirmation is given, a clearer family tree showing all relations of the Whents cannot be depicted.
- Shella Whent was the mother of the "fair maid" at the tourney at Harrenhal (So Spake Martin: Shella Whent (September 5, 2000)), making her the spouse of Lord Whent.
- "He came here as a boy. Smithed for Lady Whent and her father before her and his father before him, and even for Lord Lothston who held Harrenhal before the Whents." (A Clash of Kings, Arya IX)
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aerys II.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Fall of the Dragons: The Year of the False Spring.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 28, Catelyn V.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 47, Arya IX.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 42, Daenerys IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 31, Jaime IV.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 67, The Kingbreaker.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 24, Bran II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 12, Daenerys I.