Errata of Dunk & Egg tales
In his A Song of Ice and Fire series, George R. R. Martin uses the "unreliable narrator". As such, not all inconsistencies in the books that are mistakes. However, Martin has expressed that accidental mistakes can distract from the planned inconsistencies, making them less effective. As such, the pages indexed here represent a collection of gathered possible and confirmed mistakes and, if possible, their confirmed corrections within Martin's series.
What you will not find on this page are discussions of information from the So Spake Martins which contradicts with more recently released printed material, contradictions found in sample chapters from unreleased books (e.g. The Winds of Winter), or speculations about possible solutions.
Examples of what will not be found on the errata pages include:
- According to Osha, "the blue star in the rider's eye" of the constellation the Ice Dragon points north. However, when Bran Stark later recalls Osha's statement, he does so incorrectly: "The blue star in the dragon's eye pointed the way north, as Osha told him once."
- Differences in views on certain events. While the "commonly told story about the Battle of the Bells" apparently states that Robert I Baratheon and Jon Connington did not come face to face during the battle (as stated by Maester Yandel ["Rightly famed is Robert's grand victory at Stoney Sept, also called the Battle of the Bells, where he slew the famous Ser Myles Mooton—once Prince Rhaegar's squire—and five men besides, and might well have killed the new Hand, Lord Connington, had the battle brought them together."] and Harwin of Winterfell ["Robert came out of hiding to join the fight when the bells began to ring. He slew six men that day, they say. One was Myles Mooton, a famous knight who'd been Prince Rhaegar's squire. He would have slain the Hand too, but the battle never brought them together."]), Connington himself recalls it rather differently ("Bells and battle followed, and Robert emerged from his brothel with a blade in hand, and almost slew Jon on the steps of the old sept that gave the town its name.").
A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms
The Hedge Knight
The Sworn Sword
- When released in 2003, The Sword Sword mentioned "Cobble Cover". However, when republished in A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms in 2015, this was changed to "Cobble Cove".
- The rhyme "Oak and iron, guard me well, or else I'm dead, and doomed to hell" is called a "shield rhyme" in The Hedge Knight, but a "child's rhyme" in the original print of The Sword Sword. This has been corrected to "shield rhyme" in the 2015 print of A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms..
- The original print of The Sworn Sword stated that "One of her hands went round his neck, and one around his back." This has been changed to "One of her hands went round his neck, and one around his chest." In the 2015 re-print for A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.
The Mystery Knight
- Ser Duncan the Tall recalls having overheard a conversation between Lord Gormon Peake and Tommard Heddle. However, he recalls having overheard the sentence "...need the sword...", despite that sentence not have been uttered in the conversation itself.
- The original print of The Mystery Knight stated that "Her bride's cloak trailed behind her, done in candy green and white and yellow." In the 2015 re-print for A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, this has been changed to "Her bride's cloak trailed behind her, done in undy green and white and yellow."
- Ser Willem Wylde, a knight of the Kingsguard, is mistakenly called "Willam Wylde" in The Mystery Knight.
- The "Old Ox" of House Bulwer is called Ser Buford Bulwer at one occasion in conversation, but Ser Theomore Bulwer during the joust. This inconsistency remains present in A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.
- Lord Vyrwel is once misspelled as "Lord Vrywel" and twice as "Lord Vrvwel".
- So Spake Martin: TO BE CONTINUED (CHICAGO, IL; MAY 6-8) (MAY 6, 2001)
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 35, Bran V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 24, Bran II.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Fall of the Dragons: Robert's Rebellion.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 29, Arya V.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 61, The Griffin Reborn.
- The ASOIAF wiki thread: Cobble Cove
- The Hedge Knight.
- The Sworn Sword.
- The ASOIAF wiki thread: Fixed errors from AKOTSK
- The Mystery Knight.
- A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.