The Milkwater is a river beyond the Wall. Its headwaters begin in a lake at the foot of a glacier in the Frostfangs. It flows south past the Fist of the First Men through the haunted forest, possibly through the Gorge to the Bay of Ice. Following the stony banks of the milky-white Milkwater is the easiest way to access the Frostfangs.
A Clash of Kings
Thoren Smallwood is sent with a group of rangers to scout the Milkwater for Mance Rayder's host of free folk. Jon Snow, part of Qhorin Halfhand's group sent to scout the Skirling Pass, has a vision through Ghost of Mance's encampment at the source of the Milkwater.
A Storm of Swords
Having been captured by the Lord of Bones, Jon is brought to Mance's camp in the valley of the Milkwater. Jon observes snow and pale mists swirling along the river. Men are able to cross from the western bank to the eastern at shallows near the Fist of the First Men.
|“||Jon gazed off toward the setting sun. He could see the light shimmering like hammered gold off the surface of the Milkwater as it curved away to the south.||”|
References and Notes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 34, Jon IV.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 53, Jon VII.
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire, Beyond the Wall.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Prologue.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 48, Jon VI.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 43, Jon V.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Epilogue.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 7, Jon I.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 15, Jon II.