|Allegiance|| House Wythers|
|Born||In 230 AC (roughly)|
|Died||In 299 AC, at the Fist of the First Men|
|Book(s)|| A Clash of Kings (appears)|
A Storm of Swords (appears)
Appearance and Character
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
Ottyn is one of the commanders of the Night's Watch at the Fist of the First Men. He urges retreat when the wildling masses are discovered. He is second in command on the ranging behind Lord Commander Jeor Mormont. Chett plans to have Jeor assassinated, expecting that the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch would be succeeded by an ineffective Ottyn unwilling to pursue conspirators.
Ottyn is killed during the fight at the Fist when a riderless horse kicks his face as he stares at the chaos and death, kneeling in the snow. Jon Snow briefly contemplates Ottyn as a possible successor to Jeor, but then remembers he is dead.
|“||This wet has soaked my bones, and even my saddle sores complain of saddle sores.||”|
|“||We are the shield that guards the realms of men. You do not throw away your shield for no good purpose.||”|
References and Notes
- ↑ See the Ottyn Wythers calculation.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 A Storm of Swords, Prologue.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 23, Jon III.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 34, Jon IV.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 13, Jon II.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 18, Samwell I.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 48, Jon VI.