Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm is one of the three titles held by the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms, along with King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men and Lord of the Seven Kingdoms.
The title seems to be of a military nature, referring to the overall command of the king over the armies of the Seven Kingdoms, as it has been held by regents in case of infancy or incapacitation of the ruling king. The king may also renounce the title and grant it of his own accord.
Known Protectors of the Realm who did not rule as kings
- Lord Rogar Baratheon, Lord Paramount of the Stormlands, named Hand of the King and Protector of the Realm during the minority of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen.
- Prince Daemon Targaryen, declared himself Protector of the Realm after crowning Rhaenyra Targaryen as queen.
- Prince Aemond Targaryen, Prince Regent, during the incapacitation of King Aegon II Targaryen.
- Lord Leowyn Corbray, during the regency of King Aegon III Targaryen.
- Lord Unwin Peake, Lord Regent and Hand of the King, during the regency of King Aegon III Targaryen.
- Prince Baelor Targaryen, Hand of the King, named Protector of the Realm by his father, King Daeron II Targaryen.
- Lord Eddard Stark, Hand of the King, declared Protector of the Realm along as Regent by the dying king, Robert I Baratheon.
- Queen Cersei Lannister, Queen Regent for kings Joffrey I and Tommen I Baratheon.
- Ser Kevan Lannister, Lord Regent for King Tommen I.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- The Hedge Knight.
- Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- The Sons of the Dragon.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Maegor I.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - The Hooded Hand.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - War and Peace and Cattle Shows.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 47, Eddard XIII.
- A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.