Lord of Winterfell|
Warden of the North
|Died||In 101–121 AC|
|Book(s)||The World of Ice & Fire (mentioned)|
At the Great Council of 101 AC, Ellard supported first Rhaenys Targaryen and then her son, Laenor Velaryon. This may have been because House Stark was angry with King Jaehaerys I Targaryen for earlier transferring the New Gift from northern control to the Night's Watch. Prince Viserys Targaryen, Rhaenys's cousin, was chosen by the assembled lords as the new heir, however.
Behind the Scenes
Earlier prints of The World of Ice & Fire state that Lord Ellard Stark was the lord who had been forced to give up the lands that would become known as the New Gift. However, it has been confirmed that this is an error, and that the statement would be replaced by "the Starks were glad" in later prints, leaving it unknown for the time being which Stark had been the lord in question.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The North: The Lords of Winterfell.
- See the Ellard Stark calculation.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Jaehaerys I.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- asoiaf.westeros.org: [TWOIAF Spoilers] Inconsistency or Intentional? (25 Nov, 2014)