|House Sunderland of the Three Sisters|
|Coat of arms||
Three women's heads, white with black hair, on a barry wavy blue and green field|
(Barry wavy azure and vert, three women's heads argents, crined sable)
|Region||Vale of Arryn|
|Title||Lord of the Three Sisters|
House Sunderland blazons their arms with three women's heads, white with black hair, on barry wavy blue and green. Their motto does not appear in the books. The name and location of their castle is as yet unknown. According to a semi-canon source, the Sunderlands reside on Longsister, which is held for them by House Longthorpe.[N 1]
During the Conquest of the Seven Kingdoms by Aegon the Conqueror, the Three Sisters rebelled against Ronnel Arryn, King of Mountain and Vale, and named as their queen Marla Sunderland. Queen Visenya Targaryen flew on Vhagar to end the Sistermen's Rebellion, however. The Sistermen deposed Marla, and her brother, Lord Steffon Sunderland, submitted to King Aegon I.
During the Dance of the Dragons, Prince Jacaerys Velaryon flew on Vermax to Sisterton, where he received obeisance from Lords Sunderland and Borrell. Jacaerys gained the Three Sisters for the blacks.
Lord Sunderland led the Sistermen fighting for House Blackfyre during the First Blackfyre Rebellion in 196 AC. He attended the wedding tourney at Whitewalls in 212 AC that was to launch the Second Blackfyre Rebellion.
A Dance with Dragons
The Winds of Winter
|| Warning |
This information has thus far been released in a sample chapter for The Winds of Winter, and might therefore not be in finalized form. Keep in mind that the content as described below is still subject to change.
House Sunderland at the end of the third century
The only known Sunderlands during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Queen Marla Sunderland, who ruled briefly during the Sistermen's Rebellion before being deposed by her own people.
- Lord Sunderland, ruling during the Dance of the Dragons.
- Lord Sunderland, who participated in the First Blackfyre Rebellion and the wedding tourney at Whitewalls.
- The Princess and the Queen states that Jacaerys Velaryon called upon "Lord Borrell and Lord Sunderland of Sisterton", but the more recent and comprehensive Fire & Blood states that Jacaerys "lighted briefly at Sisterton, where Lord Borrell and Lord Sunderland did obeisance to him." Lord Sunderland may thus have traveled to Sisterton from elsewhere for the meeting with the prince.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 9, Davos I.
- The Mystery Knight.
- The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Vale
- A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Vale.
- Fire & Blood, Reign of the Dragon - The Wars of King Aegon I.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - A Son for a Son.
- The Winds of Winter, Alayne I