|House Templeton of Ninestars|
|Coat of arms||
Nine stars, one of seven points and eight of six points, on a gold saltire, on a black field|
(Sable, on a saltire or, nine mullets of the field, that in fesse-point of seven points, all others of six points)
|Lord||Ser Symond Templeton|
|Region||The Vale of Arryn|
|Title||The Knight of Ninestars|
|Founded||Coming of the Andals|
House Templeton of Ninestars is a noble house from Ninestars in the Vale of Arryn, a powerful knightly family sworn to House Arryn. The head of the family is given the title of Knight of Ninestars. The current head of the house is Ser Symond Templeton.
Although they are landed knights, the Templetons are very powerful, and their strength and influence are comparable to many lords. It is said they can easily raise a thousand men. The current generation of House Templeton may be related to the Starks of Winterfell through the female line.
During the Andal invasion of the Vale, Ser Luceon Templeton, the Knight of Ninestars, was an Andal knight that participated in the Battle of the Seven Stars under the leadership of Ser Artys Arryn. Ser Luceon may have slain King Robar II Royce during the battle.
Early in the regency of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen, the young Lady Jennis Templeton was a companion to Queen Alysanne Targaryen. In 55 AC, Alysanne arranged for Lady Jennis to wed Lord Mullendore of Uplands, an exceptional match for Jennis. Gerold Templeton, a squire at court in King's Landing, was a brief companion of Princess Daella, before the temperamental princess grew to dislike him.
When a war of succession ensued in the Vale after the death of Lady Jeyne Arryn in 134 AC, the Templetons gave their support to Ser Arnold Arryn, the Mad Heir, over Ser Joffrey Arryn, Lady Jeyne's desired heir but more distant cousin.
A Storm of Swords
When discussing King Robb Stark's succession, his mother Catelyn Tully recalls that Lord Eddard Stark's grandfather had a sister who married a younger son of Lord Raymar Royce and had three daughters. Each married Vale lords, one of whom Catelyn vaguely remembers as a Templeton.
A Feast for Crows
Ser Symond brings one thousand men to join the Lords Declarant, who mass their forces beneath the Giant's Lance, intending to blockade the Gates of the Moon and the Eyrie until Baelish surrenders. After negotiations at the Eyrie, Templeton and the Lords Declarant allow Baelish a year to show his prowess at raising Robert and ruling the Eyrie.
House Templeton at the end of the third century
The known Templetons during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Ser Luceon Templeton, the Knight of Ninestars, an Andal knight and head of House Templeton who participated in the Battle of Seven Stars.
- Jennis Templeton, a lady companion of Queen Alysanne Targaryen who married Lord Mullendore.
- Gerold Templeton, a squire in the court of Jaehaerys I Targaryen
- A Knight of Ninestars who participated in the Battle of the Redgrass Field, being slain by Daemon I Blackfyre while in Lord Donnel Arryn's vanguard.
- A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Vale.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 23, Alayne I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 80, Sansa VII.
- The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Vale
- Fire & Blood, A Surfeit of Rulers.
- Fire & Blood, Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Their Triumphs and Tragedies.
- Fire & Blood, Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Policy, Progeny, and Pain.
- Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and the End of Regency.
- The Sworn Sword.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45, Catelyn V.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 17, Cersei IV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 41, Alayne II.
- Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and Alysanne: Policy, Progeny, and Pain.