Lord of the Eyrie
|Lord of the Eyrie|
|Office||Ruler of the Eyrie|
|Region||The Vale of Arryn|
|Current Holder||Lord Robert Arryn|
|Heir||Ser Harrold Hardyng|
|First Holder||Lord Ronnel Arryn|
|Creator||Queen Visenya Targaryen|
The Eyrie had been the seat of the kings of House Arryn since its construction. During Aegon's Conquest, Queen Regent Sharra Arryn and her son, King Ronnel Arryn, took refuge in the Eyrie, believing themselves to be safe. However, after Queen Visenya Targaryen flew to the Eyrie's inner courtyard upon her dragon Vhagar, Sharra peacefully submitted to House Targaryen and the new Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Aegon I Targaryen.
The Lords of the Eyrie have been loyal to House Targaryen throughout most of its Dynasty. Lord Rodrik Arryn was married to Princess Daella Targaryen, while Lady Jeyne Arryn supported the claim of her cousin, Rhaenyra Targaryen, during the Dance of the Dragons, and later served as one of the seven regents during the regency of Aegon III.
The Arryns sided with House Targaryen during the First Blackfyre Rebellion. During the reign of King Aerys II Targaryen, however, the loyalty of the Arryn's shifted. When Aerys II Targaryen demanded the heads of Lord Jon Arryn's two former wards, Lord Jon called his banners instead, signalling the start of Robert's Rebellion, which ended the Targaryen Dynasty. Following the coronation of King Robert I Baratheon, Jon served as his Hand of the King.
A Game of Thrones
Lord Jon Arryn suddenly dies. His wife, Lysa Arryn, flees with her son Robert, the new Lord of the Eyrie, back to the Vale. Lysa sends a message to her sister, Catelyn, warning her and her husband, Lord Eddard Stark, that the Lannisters were involved in her husband's death. Lord Eddard travels to King's Landing where he investigates Jon's death.
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
Known Lords and Ladies of the Eyrie
The known Lords and Ladies of the Eyrie are:
- Lord Ronnel Arryn, called the King Who Flew, the last King of Mountain and Vale.
- Lord Hubert Arryn, a cousin of Ronnel, who continued House Arryn after Ronnel and his brother Jonos Arryn died during the reign of Aenys I Targaryen.
- Lord Darnold Arryn, Lord of the Eyrie at the beginning of the reign of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen.
- Lord Rodrik Arryn, Darnold's nephew, Lord of the Eyrie during the reign of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen.
- Lady Jeyne Arryn, called the Maiden of the Vale. Lady of the Eyrie since the later years of the reign of King Jaehaerys I. She died early in the reign of Aegon III Targaryen.
- Lord Joffrey Arryn, once Knight of the Gate. Lady Jeyne's fourth cousin and chosen successor, he fought a war of succession against Ser Arnold Arryn and Isembard Arryn.
- Lord Donnel Arryn, Lord of the Eyrie during the reign of King Daeron II Targaryen.
- Lord Jasper Arryn.
- Lord Jon Arryn, Jasper's son, who served as one of the leaders of Robert's Rebellion and as Hand of the King to King Robert I Baratheon.
- Lord Robert Arryn, Jon's young and sickly son.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon III.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Jaehaerys I.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Vale: House Arryn.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 2, Catelyn I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 4, Eddard I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 6, Catelyn II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 27, Eddard VI.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 35, Eddard IX.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 23, Alayne I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 34, Catelyn VI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 80, Sansa VII.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 10, Sansa I.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 17, Cersei IV.
- The Sons of the Dragon reading (LonCon 2014)
- Fire & Blood, Birth, Death, and Betrayal Under King Jaehaerys I.
- Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and the End of Regency.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 41, Alayne II.
- A Game of Thrones, Appendix.