Commander (Night's Watch)
Commander of the Night's Watch is a position held by an officer of the Night's Watch in charge of one of the castles along the Wall. The Lord Commander of the Night's Watch serves as Commander of the main stronghold of the Watch; the Nightfort (historically) or Castle Black (since the reign of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen). He chooses the Commanders for the other castles.
Around 300 BC, the commanders of the Nightfort and Snowgate went to war with each other. Eventually, both lost their heads to the Stark in Winterfell.
In 50 AC, Ser Olyver Bracken and Ser Raymund Mallery, Commanders of Rimegate and Sable Hall respectively, led a rebellion of former Faith Militant in the Watch, trying to make themselves lords of castles at the Wall.
In 267 AC, Ser Denys Mallister is named Commander of the Shadow Tower, a position he still holds today.
A Dance with Dragons
In order to strengthen the Wall's defenses against the imminent threat of the Others, Lord Commander Jon Snow plans to re-garrison the abandoned castles along the Wall. He cedes the Nightfort to Stannis Baratheon and appoints Commanders for the newly garrisoned castles. Some of the new Commanders appointed by Jon are Free folk leaders who gave up hostages to the Night's Watch.
Commanders during A Song of Ice and Fire
- Sworn brothers of the Night's Watch
- Bedwyck, Commander of Icemark.
- Cotter Pyke, Commander of Eastwatch-by-the-Sea. While he is away, Ser Glendon Hewett is named temporary Commander of Eastwatch.
- Ser Denys Mallister, Commander of the Shadow Tower for the last thirty-three years.
- Emmett, Commander of Long Barrow. His second-in-command is Dolorous Edd.
- Jon Snow, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch and Commander of Castle Black.
- Unnamed grizzled steward from the Shadow Tower, Commander of Greyguard.
- Free Folk leaders
- Devyn Sealskinner, Commander of Greenguard.
- Morna White Mask, Commander of Queensgate.
- Soren Shieldbreaker, Commander of Stonedoor.
- Tormund Giantsbane, Commander of Oakenshield.
- King Stannis I Baratheon, Commander of the Nightfort. (nominally)
- Unnamed Commander of the Nightfort around 300 BC who went to war against the Commander of Snowgate.
- Unnamed Commander of Snowgate around 300 BC who went to war against the Commander of the Nightfort.
- Ser Olyver Bracken, Commander of Rimegate.
- Ser Raymund Mallery, Commander of Sable Hall.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 7, Jon II.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Fire & Blood, A Surfeit of Rulers.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 55, Jon VII.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 78, Samwell V.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 3, Jon I.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 58, Jon XII.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 49, Jon X.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 35, Jon VII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 79, Jon XII.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 10, Jon III.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 69, Jon XIII.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 53, Jon XI.