Deep Lake is a castle along the Wall. The castle was abandoned some time ago by the Night's Watch due to the order's manpower shortages. To the east of Deep Lake sits Queensgate and to the west is the Nightfort.
Deep Lake was built during the reign of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen as a smaller, cheaper replacement for the Nightfort. Queen Alysanne Targaryen convinced Lothor Burley, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, to replace the older castle. Deep Lake was paid for jewels donated by Alysanne and built over eight years by the men Jaehaerys sent north. A statue of Alysanne is outside the main hall.
A Clash of Kings
A Dance with Dragons
Lord Commander Jon Snow considers re-garrisoning Deep Lake or Sable Hall with wildlings under the command of Halleck, although neither castle is ready for human habitation yet. Jon later tells Torghen Flint that Deep Lake is garrisoned, although undermanned.
- A Storm of Swords, Map of Beyond the Wall
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 56, Bran IV.
- The Lands of Ice and Fire, Beyond the Wall.
- Fire & Blood, Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Their Triumphs and Tragedies.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 43, Jon V.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 35, Jon VII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 53, Jon XI.