|Location||Westeros, the north|
|Government||House Dustin , feudal lord.|
|Notable places||Barrow Hall, Great Barrow|
Barrowton, occasionally called Barrowtown, is a prominent town in the north which contains Barrow Hall, the seat of House Dustin. It lies in the barrowlands at or near the confluence of two rivers which flow south to the Saltspear.
Barrowton is centered around the large hill Great Barrow, on which was built the Dustins' castle, Barrow Hall. The town itself is wooden and has broad straight streets. House Stout of Goldgrass has a keep near the eastern gate of Barrowton. Outside of the town are rolling plains which the wind howls over.
The Great Barrow of Barrowton is said to contain the grave of the First King of the First Men or a King of the Giants. The Dustins of Barrowton have been bannermen of House Stark of Winterfell since the downfall of the Barrow Kings of old.
Near the start of the Dance of the Dragons, Prince Jacaerys Velaryon gained the north for the cause of his mother, Rhaenyra Targaryen. After gathering men to Barrowton, Lord Roderick Dustin led his Winter Wolves south to join Rhaenyra's blacks.
Against the wishes of his wife, Lady Barbrey Dustin, Lord Willam Dustin personally led the Barrowton levies during Robert's Rebellion. After Willam was slain in combat at the tower of joy, Lord Eddard Stark returned Willam's stallion, but not his bones, to Barrowton.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Dance With Dragons
Following the surrender of Moat Cailin, the Boltons call upon the northern bannermen to assemble in Barrowton to pledge loyalty to the Iron Throne and attend the wedding of Ramsay to "Arya Stark", actually Jeyne Poole. Houses Stout and Dustin host the Boltons while they wait for the bannerman to arrive and while Ramsay searches the barrowlands for missing Freys. Lady Barbrey forbids Ramsay from Barrow Hall, and he is instead reluctantly hosted by Harwood Stout.
After hearing that Stannis Baratheon has taken Deepwood Motte, Lord Roose Bolton decides to move the wedding to Winterfell to strengthen Ramsay's claim and to goad Stannis into fighting. While riding from the Stouts' keep to Barrow Hall, Roose tells Theon Greyjoy about his sons Ramsay and Domeric Bolton.
A smith from Barrowton hammers a crude iron kraken brooch for Theon to wear for the wedding. Jeyne is protected by Lady Dustin during the journey from Barrowton to Winterfell. Barbrey brings furnishings from the town for Jeyne's bedchamber in Winterfell, as well as food and fodder for the levies.
Fear is what keeps a man alive in this world of treachery and deceit. Even here in Barrowton the crows are circling, waiting to feast upon our flesh.
Chapters that take place in Barrowton
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 32, Reek III.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Barrowton.
- The Lands of Ice and Fire, Westeros.
- A Dance with Dragons, Map of the North
- The Citadel. Heraldry: the North
- The World of Ice & Fire, The North.
- The Sons of the Dragon.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- So Spake Martin: The Stark Family, June 10, 2003
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 41, The Turncloak.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 46, Bran VI.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 46, A Ghost in Winterfell.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 55, Jon VII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 15, Davos II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 20, Reek II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 17, Jon IV.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 28, Jon VI.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 37, The Prince of Winterfell.