The winter which had begun during the Dance of the Dragons, officially declared on Maiden's Day, lasted for six years, leading to the Winter Fever claiming multiple victims amongst the highborn at the king's court.
The following people are known to have died of Winter Fever:
- The father of Ser Torrhen Manderly, in 132 AC.
- The brother of Ser Torrhen Manderly, in 132 AC.
- Lord Roland Westerling, in 133 AC.
- Ser Tyland Lannister, in 133 AC.
- Lord Leowyn Corbray, in 133 AC.
- Ser Willis Fell, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, in 133 AC.
- Queen Alicent Hightower, in 133 AC, who had remained imprisoned since the war ended in 131 AC.